Serious Question? - Protected Rights

tbh72 00:07 27 Aug 03

I have stumbled across a NEW way of laying out pages specific to a particular subject type. Can I protect / prevent unauthorised use of my idea?

Sir Radfordin 08:11 27 Aug 03

It will depend on how this is done. Only if there is something 'new' to the process will you be able to protect it.

Any original work you produce will have copyright protection which stops anyone else copying it. If this is a new inovation you would need to look at a patent of some form.

There are some things that you can't have patented or put copyright on. If your process is just uses HTML code to arrange something on a page I very much doubt you will be able to get it protected because you haven't actually thought of something new.

Forum Editor 20:37 27 Aug 03

and you can only patent something unique - a product that hasn't been seen before, for instance.

That's a broad generalisation, but on the basis of what you've told us about your idea it sounds as if there is no way you can protect it. If I see a web page that's nicely laid out, or that has a new way of dealing with text, I can simply copy the method (but not the content) with impunity. I don't have to ask anyone's permission. That will apply in your case - as Sir Radfordin suggests.

tbh72 02:39 28 Aug 03

Yep - What you have said makes perfect sense. So, my layout format would not afford any type of protection & I guess it should be taken as a compliment if copied!! Thanks for your speedy responses.

Regards
T

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…