Serious problems with PC!

mubeenahmed 11:36 21 Jan 09

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone can help.

My computer (Laptop Dell Inspiron ~ 2yrs old) is in a mess with the following symptoms:

a) Cannot connect to the internet at all - I have been able to connect to wireless previously. The network connections in control panel has no icons, and when I try and get help, the Help and Support function seems to be disabled (all Help and Support has been disabled!). I have come across errors like error 1060 - something to do with the service not being installed, and ones which state the network connection has been disabled. All network adapters seem to be working fine according to device manager

b) The Windows wireless manager is not available. A lot of the 'Services' e.g. Zero Config have also disappered from view. Intel Wireless manager is able to pick up wireless networks around but cant connect (I assume this has something to do with a))

c) The regedit function has somehow been disabled - its states that the administator has disabled this, but its a home computer and i'm the administrator, and not sure how to get it back

d)Under Device Manager, the SCSI/RAID controller has problems with the driver and is not currently installed. I have no idea whether this is relevant to the internet connection as I dont know what this is.

e) The system restore function is not available. I get an error saying restart the PC to try and restore again, with no success.

f) The sound seems to have disappeared and has been replace by an annoying beep which doesnt seemt to be able to switch off or turn down.

Any help on this would be massively appreciated

Thanks

Tech Guy 12:21 21 Jan 09

Sometimes it is best to just re-install and start from a fresh machine.

Switcher 17:09 25 Jan 09

The annoying beep which you cannot turn off sounds like a fan alarm, either cpu cooler or case fan. I would suggest that you check the fans before carrying out a re-install

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…