Serious problem - hardware related?

Cams 22:57 16 Jul 04

My desktop has been playing up of late. It started some time ago and I thought it was because the CPU was overheating but I've ruled that out now.

I'm running XP Pro on a 2Ghz P4 with 512MB of RAM.

Basically, the system freezes and will only boot into Safe Mode. After switching on, the Knight Rider blue squares move smoothly a few times then start to jerk, as if the CPU is being stressed. It then gets as far as the blank screen with the cursor before the "Windows is Starting Up page" appears and will not go any further. The HD light flickers to show some activity but it's as if it just won't take, if that makes any sense. Safe Mode works every time.

The last time it started freezing, it had the same startup problem but would start up from time to time. I narrowed it down to winlogon.exe grabbing 99% of the CPU but an image of the install fixed that, or so it seemed. I can no longer get the blasted thing to boot long enough for me to see if it's winlogon.exe but I've reimaged again anyway.

I've scanned with up-to-date AV, Spybot and Adaware in Safe Mode and nothing untoward was found. I've also ran Memtest 86 and the diagnostic HD test. I also tried booting from a slave drive that I know is clean and got the same problem. And I have also copied a working image of a fresh install of XP onto the Windows partion on my HD with no joy there either.

The problem does seem to be hardware related and, at a guess, I'd say it was either the CPU or the motherboard itself. Do others agree with that? I shall remove and reseat the components tomorrow, and try to reboot with only the essentials to try and rule dodgy PCI cards, etc. If it's the CPU or motherboard, well, I guess it would be a good time for an upgrade. I'd much rather not have it come to that though.

Is there a diagnostic tool for checking CPUs?

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Cams

stalion 23:06 16 Jul 04

cpu program hope this helps click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…