serious fault

aboutit 09:02 03 Jun 07

I switched my pc on and got the message could not start properly tried start normal/last known good etc and nothing. Finally decided to do a reformat after recovery disc woud not recover the pc. Reinstalled windows xp with a brand new disc reloaded programmes and everything was fine. switched the computer off turned on again next day and received the same message again. can anyone please advise

birdface 09:09 03 Jun 07

Hi.I soppose your computer was keeping good time,Thought it may have been your your cmos battery was playing up and needing renewing.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:12 03 Jun 07

What is the message exactly?

Sounds like corruption on the HDD boot to recovery console using the XP CD and run chkdsk /r

Fingees 09:14 03 Jun 07

Just wondering if the battery has gone that controls the bios. That could cause a lot of instability, and prevent loading, but it's usually noticed by the clock not keeping correct time, before any problems.

If however it has malfunctioned, I suppose it could be the problem.

aboutit 09:27 03 Jun 07

the message is windows cannot start could be a recent prgramm change or hardware fault then given options of start normally etc. this is a desktop pc windows xp home clock was showing correct time. I can start safe mode with networking but can`t see anything wrong in the control panel

birdface 09:42 03 Jun 07

Sounds like a Bios problem then.Normally if it starts in safe mode there is usually not much wrong with it,But will leave it to the experts to advise.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:41 03 Jun 07

If it starts in safe mode but not in normal mode thwn most likely a driver problem.

In safe mode unistall the drivers one at a time starting with the graphics drivers and attempt to boot normaly after each removal.

If it boots normaly then reinstal the driver.

birdface 21:35 04 Jun 07

Have you tried device manager to see if any yellow exclamation marks against any of your device's

birdface 21:37 04 Jun 07

Or have a look at this,See if it helps. click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…