serious error- wots the cause?

fermerboy 00:32 22 Jun 04

My parents have a pc running win xp pro that has started show the message "windows has recovered from a serious error" on start up. If you click on tell me more you get this,

BCCode d1 BCP1:FFA1E860 BCP2 : 00000002 BCP300000000 BCP4 : F275C32 OSver 5_1_2600 SP:0_0 Product:256_1

If you then click on technical details or something like that it says something about the following files
C:\Windows|minidump\mini0621 04-06.dmp
C:Docume"squiggle symbol"1\bill\local"squiggle symbol"1\temp\WER1.tmp.dir00\sysdata.xml
Bill is the main user/administrator.

I have tried disk cleanup,scandisc, and system restore back as far as I can go. The computer has crashed in the past but not everytime.
Is this a virus? The antivirus software got nothing and trend housecall nothing as well.
I'm ok with pcs but not to hot on what all that lot above means.

woodchip 00:40 22 Jun 04

Memory conflict, a program is trying to access memory that is already using a memory location

hugh-265156 00:45 22 Jun 04

this is just a minidump of the error and may not help get a more useful error displayed that you can look up using the search(Kb) box click here

click 'start/control panel/system/advanced/start up and recovery/settings'

untick 'automatically restart' and next time instead of a restart you will get an error displayed straight away. note this down exactly and look it up as above.

ps. check windows is up to date click here and scan for them. install everything listed as security or critical.

pps. squiggle symbol is called tidle ~ windows uses this to shorten a path from C:\documents and settings\your name\folder to C:\docume~\your name\folder

fermerboy 01:13 22 Jun 04

thanks for that.
search microsoft kb and it says check for outdated drivers , will do that next time I'm at their house.
When I was exploring C:\ drive I found these two folders in the windows folder, they were marked in blue which is what drew my attention to them
$NTUninstallK824146$ and $xpsp1htm$. Would this have anything to do with the trouble? and why marked in blue?

hugh-265156 01:30 22 Jun 04

files in blue are system files and the ones listed uninstallk 'number' are windows updates and $xpsp1htm$ is service pack 1 i believe. leave these alone.

you can hide protected system files to reduce the chance of accidental deletion by clicking 'control panel/tools/folder options/view' then tick 'hide protected operating system files' you will find now you cannot see them listed.

hugh-265156 01:36 22 Jun 04

ps. 824146 is the blaster worm patch click here so you really do need to leave this.and the rest.

type the number into the search kb box on the ms site to find out what they are if your interested.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…