serial port woes

pigup 19:05 26 Jun 09

i have 2 machine tools connected to a pc.
when the old com1 port failed i put in a twin serial port card. 1 machine is now fine on transmit and receive. the other fails part way through receiving giving buffer overflow alarm.

woodchip 19:16 26 Jun 09

Is it enabled in the BIOS

pigup 19:23 26 Jun 09

must be enabled in bios, it partialy works.
the new ports are on the same board, the second machine sends to the pc fine, buffer overflow alarm is when sending pc to machine.i dont think the machine can handle the speed of transmission, but even setting port to slowest baud rate does not fix the problem.
regards

woodchip 19:29 26 Jun 09

Is it a ISA or PCI card? if PCI why not try with another if you have a spare slot rather than dual on one card. also did you get drivers with car and load them?

woodchip 19:30 26 Jun 09

Is it a ISA or PCI card? if PCI why not try with another if you have a spare slot rather than dual on one card. also did you get drivers with card and load them?

pigup 19:45 26 Jun 09

it is a PCI card a sweex brand and came with drivers and manual. the port settings windows are different to the ones on the old port, particularly there are no buffer sliders under the advanced tab. Sweex sent a different driver and a driver remover tool but re installing the card gave the same result. Win XP gives me no driver choice and detects and installs the card regardless.

woodchip 19:52 26 Jun 09

try forcing a a drive update, in device manager uninstall the card then go to add new hardware in control panel and choose have disc when it does a scan for hardware. it may work. or after uninstall run the driver file by double clicking it

pigup 20:05 26 Jun 09

thanks for that will try tomorrow when back at work. do you think the new card can be forced to use the standard windows drivers instead of the ones supplied? Its a pity one machine uses the new card just fine its got a siemens control the partially working one has a Fanuc control,
regards

woodchip 20:34 26 Jun 09

you could try uninstall it in device manager, see if after a restart windows loads drivers for it

pigup 20:14 27 Jun 09

thanks for the tip. managed to load different drivers and try those. still no joy but noticed when sending the same file it always failed at the same point after 75% of loading whatever driver or setting. now waiting for info from superdraft who make the software. and on it goes.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…