Serial port (COM1) connector

LANCER8725 19:15 20 Jun 05

Where does this connect to?

octal 19:35 20 Jun 05

Can you expand in what you mean by " Where does this connect to?" It can connect to any number of devices, from mice to modem's to printers. Or am I not understanding, if so sorry.

octal 20:05 20 Jun 05

Received from LANCER8725 via email:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I did some decorating and removed the system, when I re-connected I have this one cable left over which I know was connected. Both printers, Scanner, Web Cam, and everything else seems to be working ok except when I want to play any games where it tells me my video card is missing various parts in the system. Rightly or wrongly everything worked before so I can only assume its something to do with the now spare cable?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you would restrict your answers to the forum please, I won't answer your email because there is no need.

Personally I haven't a clue about your spare cable, but hold on and someone may do.

DieSse 22:37 20 Jun 05

Are you sure it's a com cable (2 rows of 9 pins) and not a video accelerator cable (3 rows of pins)

I it's the latter it goes between the video card and the accelerator card, and you have the monitor plugged into the wrong place.

If it's a 9 pin cable - then it's not the cause of your video problems. If you've got no external device that doesn't work, then you've got a spare cable that did nothing!

Com ports are for external modems, older web cams, some older camera download connections, old mice, control/setup cable for some ADSL routers, and the like. In other words, external boxes - if they all work, then perhaps it's a cable left over from an older device you no longer use.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac