serial and ide h/drives mix

froggg 23:51 20 Aug 03

I'm going to upgrade soon to a serial h/drive,on a p4p800 asus mobo.
if I connect my existing ide h/d as well,would I lose the speed of the serial?.I want to use the serial h/d for games,and the ide h/d for downloads,burning etc.

Rowey 10:54 21 Aug 03

the SATA (serial) and PATA (parallel) hard disk controllers have an independant controller. so the answer to your question would be no.

I would suggest buying two sata drives and setting them up in raid0. They would run even quicker then!

Chegs ® 12:34 21 Aug 03

I have two SATA drives in my puter(no IDE)and since I removed the IDE drive and installed XP onto the SATA drive,it runs fine for a few days then starts locking up/crashing,etc.I have become an expert in the XP Repair console,as whenever the puter has to be RESET it loses data,and XP wont boot. :-)

My IDE hdd was 7,200RPM Maxtor,and as it ran ATA133 and the SATA is ATA150,in normal usage I was unable to see any difference.(apart from slightly quicker file transfers around the puter)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…