serial connection problems (direct x direct play)

jono_2003 17:27 12 Jul 03

I have two old pc's one running win98 and the other 95 I set them up a while ago with a serial cable to transfer files using laplink however i soon became bored and started playing multiplayer games on them like age of empires, flight sim98 etc.., however i am now unable to connect to the other pc on any game that uses direct play to connect (laplink still works and dos games such as doom work fine) Basically i can set up the two machines exactly host a game on one and when i try to connect with the other it efuses to detect the game.

the pc running 95 has direct x 8.oa and the pc running 98 has ver 8.1.
what made me realize that it was probably direct x was that on the network tab in dxdiag you can test direct play, on the 98 machine my only connection options are "direct play 8 modem service provider" and "direct play 8 serial service provider," whereas on 95 i don't get any of these i get "serial connection for direct play," "Modem connection for direct play," and ipx and tcp/ip protocols.

Does anyone have any ideas?

matt5705 18:22 14 Jul 03

serial just is not fast enough

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…