Serial ATA & Windows XP Setup - Help!

Gaz W 20:44 16 Sep 03

I have an Abit AT7-Max7 motherboard, AMD AthlonXP 2600+, 512MB PC2700 DDR and ATi Radeon 9600 Pro graphics card.

The board came with a Serial ATA (S-ATA) adapter for an IDE hard drive, so I used it on my Maxtor 40GB (7,200 rpm ATA 133), allowing me to plug the DVD-ROM into IDE 1 as Master and the CD-RW into IDE 2 as Master.

The problem is that when I come to Windows XP Setup (XP Pro OEM), it says it can't detect a hard drive and suggests I might need to install some drivers, but the CD and floppy that came with the board aren't bootable, and I don't know what I would install them to since the hard drive isn't yet formatted.

The hard drive is shown on bootup so it is being detected. I remember having had to format a hard drive in FAT 32 using a 98 boot disk before XP Setup would detect it, but I don't think that was the actual solution to the problem. I was thinking it would be more to do with the Serial ATA adapter.

Any suggestions?

Gaz W 20:53 16 Sep 03

After a quick search on Google I found a result on the Seagate website. Although this is not the same manufacturer of disk, I think it still applies. Basically it's just saying press F6 during the boot into the text mode part of Setup.

click here

This probably means the floppy that came with the mobo so I will try this and see if it works.

Gaz W 01:00 17 Sep 03

This thread is now resolved! It turned out it was just that - I had to press F6, then provide the floppy when asked. I should have searched properly on the net first!

I do have a problem now I've got XP running, which is on the thread below if anyone is interested (or even looks at this now it's resolved!)

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…