SERIAL ATA - RAID 1 Configuration

CutNpaste 17:01 30 Nov 04

Hi guyz,

I'm not sure but a freind told me that a motherboard which has a serial interface with raid 0-5 or somthing, has got the ability to to wire up two identical harddrive one that will run the system and and documents and the other one will mirror the active one constantly (in other words backup constantly). So if one HDD fails then the backup one comes to life.
Although it may sound quite rational, i am not sure whether its true or not. Maybe you guyz know better. Let me know if there is such thing, if there is then give me some advice on how to go about with it.

Thanks

Dorsai 17:24 30 Nov 04

It is basically as your friend said.

A raid (Redundant Array of Inexpensive Disks) 0 array allows you to put two (or more) identical HDD in the PC, and set up correctly, the two drives will both contain identical info. So if one drive dies, the info is all on the other.

It does not stop the system crashing, a virus trashing it, or an eletrical surge blowing it all up, but it does protect against one off disk failure.

But you still need to backup, incase of the virus/crash/surge.

Dorsai 17:26 30 Nov 04

Sorry not raid 0, raid 1.

* RAID0 writes data across the drives in the array, one segment at a time. This configuration is also referred to as "striping." Striping offers high I/O rates since read/write operations may be performed simultaneously on multiple drives.

* RAID1 writes data to two drives simultaneously. If one drive fails, data can still be retrieved from the other member of the RAID set. This process is also called "mirroring." Mirroring is the most expensive RAID option (since it doubles storage requirements), but it offers the ultimate in reliability.

* RAID 0+1 is a combination of striping and mirroring. This configuration provides optimal speed and reliablility, but possesses the same cost problem as RAID1.

* RAID5 employs a combination of striping and parity checking. The use of parity checking provides redundancy without the overhead of having to double disk capacity. Simply put, parity checking involves determining whether each given block has an odd or even value. These values are summed across the stripe sets to obtain a parity value. With this parity value, the contents of a failed disk can easily be determined and rebuilt on a spare drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…