serial ata hard drive installation

notmeguv 15:55 06 Mar 04

windows xp pro, 2.4ghz. asus p4pe motherboard i want to replace my old 40gb ide hard drive with my new seagate barracuda sata hard drive but i havent a clue where to start as no instructions came with it. ive got the cables and checked my motherboerd supports it and i know how to fit the drive in place. i need to know how to install all the software from one too the other and to partition it and make it my primary drive. please help, cheers.

LastChip 16:24 06 Mar 04

Your post is not clear as to your objective.

Are you saying you want to start from scratch and install XP on your new SATA drive (as the main drive)? Or are you trying to swap over all the information from your existing drive to your SATA drive? A much more difficult problem.

notmeguv 16:31 06 Mar 04

id like to swap all the information from my current drive to my new one, is this to much to ask?

LastChip 16:48 06 Mar 04

First, go to Seagate's site, and download the very latest version of Disc Wizard. Install Disc Wizard on your existing XP drive. Shut down.

Connect your SATA drive. Launch XP as usual and use Disc Wizard from within the Windows interface to Partition and Format your drive.

Within Disc Wizard, there is an option to "clone" the contents of your drive to the new one. Personally, I have never used this option, but the rest of Disc Wizard works as advertised, so I have no reason to suspect this will not do the job.

The only reservation I have, is this business of XP recording the hardware it is installed on and whether this will interfere with the cloning process, I don't know. You are now after all, on a completely different hard drive!

As with anything of this nature, make sure you back up EVERYTHING you are likely to need before attempting this transfer.

notmeguv 17:14 06 Mar 04

im trying that, i downloaded discwizard but it wont run. i goto programs and select it, the seagate screen comes up but then goes of back to desk top. thier website doesnt have any help on this, any ideas?

Chegs ® 17:24 06 Mar 04

Installing XP onto a new hdd isn't sufficient changes to require reregistering the OS.The original install of XP creates a "hash" number,this then is registered with M$.When you change the hardware,the new "hash" number is only slightly different to the one registered with M$ already,so not a problem.Even if you completely altered ALL your hardware(new CPU/Mobo/NIC,etc)the new installation is very easy to register with M$,simply connect to the net and its done in minutes.

Chegs ® 17:27 06 Mar 04

click here

Instructions for using DiscWizard can be found here.

notmeguv 17:28 06 Mar 04

ive been there, thats where i got it from, it just doesnt load.

LastChip 17:40 06 Mar 04

When you download Disc Wizard, it's normally in unzipped format, so all that you (should!) have to do, is double click the icon and allow the program to install.

Is that what you are doing?

If it is, I would download it again, as you may just have a corrupted file. If this is necessary, just let the new file overwrite the old.

Rayuk 17:47 06 Mar 04

I would think you would have to instal the sata driver onto your existing hard drive as well before copying over.

notmeguv 17:50 06 Mar 04

ive downloaded and installed it several times, it just wont boot. i knew this hard drive lark would be quite difficult, but i didnt think i would fail this early into it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…