Sequential numbering in Excel

Graham ® 12:56 20 Feb 05

I've used Filter to get a column of data, I now want to count them. I figured the best way would be to add a column at the side and number them 1 to X. I formatted the new column to Numbers and inserted a 1 at the side of the first cell. But when I click on the corner to drag down the column it just repeats the 1 instead of 2,3 etc.

Ive tried holding the ctrl key, but I still get 1s.

VoG II 13:02 20 Feb 05

Put a 1 in the first row and a 2 in the second row. Select both cells and copy down.

Graham ® 13:05 20 Feb 05

Thanks, thats what I thought. But I just get 1s :-(

VoG II 13:13 20 Feb 05

You've discovered an interesting "feature" with filtered lists :o)

Select all of the rows where you want to add numbers.

Use ASAP Utilities, Fill/Quick numbering of cells.

Graham ® 13:41 20 Feb 05

Using ASAP I can number the cells, but not correctly. With three rows in the filtered column selected, the numbers are 1,2,5.

With only 3 rows in the column, but 5 rows selected I get 1,2,5 10,11.

If I select more rows, the numbering continues 10,11,12 etc. It seems ASAP can't number correctly when Auto filter is on.

Any other way to count the rows? I'm thinking on the lines of deleting all columns except the one I want to count.

VoG II 13:43 20 Feb 05

Use Subtotals click here

Graham ® 13:49 20 Feb 05

Thanks, I'll try that. Also, if I paste the filtered column into a blank sheet I can use the row counters.

Graham ® 13:57 20 Feb 05

I get 'Formula contains an error'.

VoG II 14:02 20 Feb 05

Just tested on a filtered sheet

with no errors and correct result displayed.

Very odd.

Graham ® 14:06 20 Feb 05

In the example, would A11 be the cell to select?

VoG II 14:09 20 Feb 05

You should be able to enter the formula anywhere (except within the filtered list).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…