Seperate partition for os?

handful 13:18 20 Dec 03

I have had terrible trouble with XP in the year I have been using it. Periodically I get the dreaded missing or corrupt \windows\system32\config\system. To try and minimise the hassle in future I intend to reformat and partition the hd so I have a completely seperate partition for xp. (120gb hd) Is it possible to install all programmes onto another partition so that if the need to reinstall xp arises I can reformat and start again or does it destroy all the registry entries making the programmes unusable without reinstallation anyway? If it is possible, how do you change the default location for programmes to install without changing it on each occasion. Finally, if I have just xp on a partition, how big does it need to be? Any advice would be gratefully received. Many thanks to everybody who has offered help in this forum over the year. Merry Xmas to one and all.

powerless 13:36 20 Dec 03

How to Recover from a Corrupted Registry That Prevents Windows XP from Starting click here

powerless 13:40 20 Dec 03

2 Partitions:

C: XP

D: Whatever you want.

Partition sizes fo XP depends whats ging to be on the partition.

You can install programs to another partition by telling the installation where to stick the program.

But if something does go wrong you've lost the vital registry bits, so there is not much point.

You would then have to reinstall XP and your programs again.

Have you considered Drive Image [marvellous piece a kit] click here

powerless 13:42 20 Dec 03

EH? Has Symantec brought powerquest?

powerless 13:43 20 Dec 03

Yes they have.

Terrahawk 13:44 20 Dec 03

there was talk about it looks like its happened

Big Elf 13:49 20 Dec 03

I would recommend Acronis TrueImage which I've used to restore my system in the past in less than 30 minutes.

Big Elf 13:50 20 Dec 03

Sorry, forgot to post the link click here

handful 16:36 20 Dec 03

Powerless- thanks for the advice and links. I have used the methods for repairing the registry on a number of occasions with varying success and only resort to reformatting when all else fails. Does anyone know why this error occurs...should I be looking at replacing my hard drive (still under warranty)? I think I will also take the plunge and pick up a copy of Drive Image or maybe Big Elf's suggestion of TrueImage. It seems a lot less hassle. Many thanks for the responses.

Big Elf 17:43 20 Dec 03

Whilst not exactly a fix the link at click here has a couple of good suggestions e.g. System Restore and Recovery Console. The other links within that may prove useful.

It might be an idea to look at replacing/testing different hardware items to try to eradicate the fault.

I think unless you can prove that the drive is faulty by using the manufacturers disk tools you may have difficulty getting it replaced.

If you can still get hold of the free version of TrueImage then, that it least, provides a quicker recovery method that the format reinstall routine.

Diemmess 18:16 20 Dec 03

If you are going to make regular backup (clones) YES.

Because in the worst case when XP packs up yet again, you only need to restore the one drive from the latest clone and avoid reinstallation of the apps etc. Most important is the time saved making and restoring clones from a smaller drive.
The bloated XP will require a partiton of 5Gb? or thereabouts to itself.

This ignores the question why is this happening at all, but at least gives some respite.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…