Separating folders in MS Outlook

Yimbo 10:46 AM 14 Jun 11
Answered

Whilst trying to re-sort some email folders into alphabetical order, which had somehow got mixed up, I dragged them to where I wanted them to appear, only to find that they have now become a sub-folder of the adjacent folder!

How do I get them separated again?

Taff™ 11:25 AM 14 Jun 11

Drag them back would seem the simplest or right click the folder and select move. Which might give you a bit more control.

Terry Brown 12:02 PM 14 Jun 11

Do you mean, actually sort out the emails that are in outlook or you have moved them to the harddrive

If you wish to store them on the harddrive for sorting , do the following.

Create a folder called (e.g.) Stored Email, create 26 folders (Letters of the alphabet) or as many as you choose.- Personally I would save by Subject and/or From.

Keep the folder open and open Outlook.

use TILE to show both windowson the screen.

Highlight the Emai(s) you want to move (Right Click on Email), and drag to the appropiate folder.

You now have a copy on your harddrive (test it), and you can now safely delete the one on Outlook,(if you want to).

The saved file can be opened in Word and edited like any other document, including rename.

If these are important to you, you can now save to to a Thumb drive or CD if you wish.

Terry

Yimbo 12:25 PM 14 Jun 11

Taff - I know it ought to be ridiculously easy to shift folders - - but - - each time I try to drag an out-of-sequence folder to where I want it to be, as soon as I release the mouse button, the folder attaches itself to the adjacent folder, and becomes a sub-folder!! All I want to do is to get the dragged folder to occupy its own place in the list.

Sorry if this seems a bit confused! I used to be able to do this OK with OE, but Outlook is much more of a challenge (for me!!).

Taff™ 12:47 PM 14 Jun 11

Use the right click and move option I gave you. It might also help if you widened the folder panes to give a better view.

Yimbo 13:13 PM 14 Jun 11

Taff - - Yes, I think widening the folder panes would definitely help! Could you please be patient with me one more time, and tell me how to do this?

Thank you!

exdragon 14:50 PM 14 Jun 11
Answer

Are we talking about your Inbox here? Are you just dragging, for example, folder C up so it sits between folders B and D?

If you drag the folder C to the top level of the tree, ie, Inbox, it should find its rightful place.

Apologies if I've got hold of the wrong end of the stick!

Yimbo 16:15 PM 14 Jun 11

Thanks exdragon! Dragging up to the top -to the very top - did the trick! Folders now where I want them!

Thanks to all! The advice is stored away! Much appreciated!

Taff™ 09:32 AM 15 Jun 11

Yimbo - apologies been away but I see you`re sorted. To resize the panes hover your mouse cursor over the borders of each pane. The cursor changes to a two way arrow. Left click and hold the button then drag the pane borders to suit.

Yimbo 15:34 PM 15 Jun 11

Thanks for your helpful information! And all your help!

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 now: how to download and install Windows 10 even if GWX.exe is missing

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nokia rolls out spherical camera for virtual reality apps

OS X Yosemite vs Windows 10: The Mac and PC operating systems go head to head UPDATED