Separating 2 accounts in Thunderbird

coinneach 20:50 21 Feb 05

I've set up a second email account in Thunderbird and am wondering whether there's any way of automatically separating the incoming messages into two blocks in the inbox.
I've tried the dedicated forum but no one has come up with the answer so far.

coinneach

Diodorus Siculus 21:00 21 Feb 05

What do you mean by "two blocks" in the inbox? Certainly, you can have as many subfolders as you want and filter mail into them.

Or have a seperate mail box for each mail account.

Diodorus Siculus 21:05 21 Feb 05

Le do thoil: coinneach - cad e sin?

Dorsai 21:20 21 Feb 05

If i have understood you question correctly, what you want to do is download mail from 2 accounts into two different 'in-boxes'.

It is relativly easy to do/setup in T'bird.

Start by creating a second folder for the mail to go in. Right click in the right hand pane, and select 'new folder'. Name the folder what-ever you want.

Now that you have a second folder, you need to create a 'message filter' that will sort the incoming mail, and place it where you want.

In thunderbird;

Tools>Message filters>new. Give the filter a name, that makes sence to you. In the first drop down box (that defaults to 'subject')pick 'to', in the second drop down box pick 'is' and in the third box enter the name of the "secondary email address".

Now at the bottom of the 'message filter windows' put a tick in 'move to folder' check box, and from the drop down list just to the right of the tick box locate the folder you want to mail to you chosen address to go in.

Fingers crossed, this should do it.

Dorsai 21:23 21 Feb 05

Start by creating a second folder for the mail to go in. Right click in the right hand pane, and select 'new folder'. Name the folder what-ever you want.

Correction.

Start by creating a second folder for the mail to go in. Right click in the LEFT hand pane (in T'Bird), and select 'new folder'. Name the folder what-ever you want.

octal 21:29 21 Feb 05

It's a pity coinneach didn't notice when setting up a new account, as you go through the wizard there's a tick box to select either send to emails to the local folders or to it's own folder.

coinneach 17:35 22 Feb 05

Many thanks for all your contributions, folks. Octal was right and this put me on to the 'Global Index' (in advanced accounts settings) which had to be changed to 'Inbox for this server's account' for my new account. I've successfully sent myself a message between the two accounts and we're in business. Thanks a lot.
(Diodorus Siculus - my Scottish Gaelic doesn't recognize your question. I guess it might mean 'where (or what)is this?' in Irish Gaelic. Coinneach is SG for Kenneth).

coinneach

octal 17:47 22 Feb 05

Well done, I'm glad you've got it sorted and thanks for the feedback.

Diodorus Siculus 17:53 22 Feb 05

coinneach - yes, it simply meant Please, coinneach what is that?" meaning, what does the word mean. Now I know. It was not a word I had come across.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…