Separate Ink Tanks

interzone55 22:34 18 Dec 05

There's been much discussion on these forums about the price of ink, and the advantages of separate coloured ink tanks.

My question to you all is - apart from the black tank, how often do you just change one colour?

I have an R300, and I'm on probably my 5th or 6th set of carts. On monday I changed my light cyan and Magenta carts, tuesday the yellow and today cyan and light magenta. I have printed only about 10 pages this week. If I didn't have separate tanks I really wouldn't have wasted much ink by changing all the colours in one go.
This happens everytime I change carts, all the colours seem to run out at pretty much the same time.

Alan

Giggle n' Bits 22:46 18 Dec 05

there are many reasons, but are you printing and setting the quality of the print to say Photo and using gloss, matt etc.

Stuartli 23:59 18 Dec 05

You can buy the continuous ink supply units such as this one from BigPockets:

click here

Also offered on e-Bay by various suppliers.

interzone55 09:54 19 Dec 05

That looks fantastic, although I'm not actually bothered about the cost of replacements (I use compatibles at about £15 a set).

My point is that all the ink seems to run out at the same time.

I think New Dawn 1 has hit the nail on the head, most of my colour printing is photos, after a bit of reading I've found out that photo printing does run the colours down equally. This is HPs arguement for still shipping all colours in one cartridge.

Stuartli 09:57 19 Dec 05

I would have thought that all the inks running out about the same time would have saved rather a lot of time swapping over individual cartridges...:-)

interzone55 15:34 19 Dec 05

Having read the text with the item at Bigpockets I've realised that a full head clean is done each time you change a cartridge, so if I swap them all at once then I will save ink in the long run

wee eddie 08:48 20 Dec 05

How much ink do you think is used in a cleaning?

Different usage of individual colours will gradually show how much advantage you can gain from separate coloured tanks.

Only change them when they are empty. Your printer will warn you and, I think, that most of use do not act on it immediately.

Personally. When I get a warning that "Colour X" is running out. I get a spare tank from the drawer and put it by the Printer, and then carry on for a while. I have run dry a couple of times in the last few years. I've been running Canons for the last 8 years, and don't let it run dry any more as the resetting process is long and boring if you are in a hurry.

interzone55 10:36 20 Dec 05

A significant amount of ink is used in the cleaning and charging cycle. As people have pointed out in this and other posts, Epson tech support droids advice users to leave printers switched on 24/7 in order to save ink.
I've seen printers that are never used, run out of ink in a couple of months just by turning them on and off each day.

From experience, running an epson dry is never a good idea, as it can cause permanent damage to the heads.

I never change as soon as the driver warns the ink is running out, instead I wait until print quality deteriorates.

Unfortunately, as I now run the printer via a separate print server, I don't get onscreen ink levels anymore, instead I have to rely on the little graphic on the printer's LCD screen.

Stuartli 10:47 20 Dec 05

But presumably you would also have to keep your system switched on as well?

I used to think this with my previous Canon but all it ever did was run through the startup cycle when the system was switched on.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…