sending/receiving compuserve mail via another ISP

whitehall 09:07 18 Jan 06

Does anyone know please if it is possible to configure Outlook so that it can send and receive compuserve mail but via my Tiscali Broadband connection?
I have tried telling Outlook to connect via the Tiscali Broadband connection and changed the SMTP details in Outlook from those of Compuserve to Tiscali but whenever I press the send and receive button an error message appears telling me that a connection cannot established to Tiscali.
Tiscali works fine for Internet usage.
Sharon

mgmcc 09:47 18 Jan 06

If you are using Microsoft Outlook (and not Outlook Express), go to "Tools > Email Accounts", select "View or change existing email accounts" and click Next. Highlight your email account and click "Change". In the next box, click the button for "More Settings".

In the next again box, click the Connection tab and select the option to "Connect using my local area network (LAN)".

See if that helps, it should prevent Outlook from trying to establish a connection itself to Tiscali. As far as CompuServe mail itself is concerned, there shouldn't be a problem although it is years since I used a CompuServe account. If you are on "CS2000", I seem to recall this was retrieved via IMAP4 rather than POP3, whereas CompuServe "classic" had POP3 access to its proprietary CompuServe Mail system.

whitehall 11:56 18 Jan 06

That is really helpful mgmcc and has worked. The diference seems to be that I had Tiscali selected under the Connections tab rather than LAN.
Thank you

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…