Sending Photographs over the internet.

mike55 21:58 03 Sep 03

A friend asked how to send photos over the internet, I read somewhere that you could end up with enormous files that take an age to send. I think I also read that you save the photos in a different format that would make it easier???
Can anyone shed some light on the subject

accord 22:02 03 Sep 03

make sure they are saved as jpeg and not tiff.

if the photos are taken on a digi camera then the size of photo will also depend on how big the file is ie 640x480 is a lot smaller than 2560x1920

graham√ 22:10 03 Sep 03

You don't need a shed! Photos are usually sent in Jpeg format. It is best to use a program such as Irfanview click here to reduce the size.

I've found it is not an exact science, as it depends on the recipients PC and connection speed. You may find it useful to email photos, after resizing, to yourself, and experiment with different settings.

If you send a photo without resizing, it will appear too large and require scrolling.

hssutton 22:32 03 Sep 03

This is a very simple freeware program that will do what you want click here

marjted 23:34 03 Sep 03

The pixel size is the important dimension to consider if they are intended primarily for viewing on screen. Given that monitor resolutions are not likely to be set much above 1028 oixels wide and the screen will also have a window framing it, you can usefully take the width down to 500 pixels before further reducing the file size by saving as Jpeg.

marjted 23:35 03 Sep 03

oixels? should read pixels.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…