Sending newsletter via website

Amadas 21:46 25 May 06

Hello all,

I have a client that wishes to have a link on their site giving a visitor the option to receive a newsletter (probably in PDF format) via an immediate email upon clicking the link. I'm not sure where I should start.

Its a linux server.

Your assistance is always appreciated.

Thanks
Amadas

beynac 22:04 25 May 06

Does it have to be by email? You could just put a link to the pdf document.

This may help: click here

Forum Editor 22:51 25 May 06

it will be far simpler just to add the PDF file to the site files and then create a hyperlink to it. Then anyone can download the file, without the need to worry about email.

harristweed 23:02 25 May 06

You will need a database to store the email addresses.

The customers will need a form to add their email address. When this form is submitted, a confirmation email acknowledgement should be sent, with an opt out facility link.

The newsletter also should carry an opt out link.

You should also consider a privacy policy page.

Amadas 23:14 25 May 06

I agree with both of you as this would certainly be easier, however, this client apparently wishes to obtain the email address of the visitor and place them within their database for future mailings.

The link on the page will ask the visitor if they wish to subscribe to the newsletter. After they fill in the required field with their email address and submit, an email with the newsletter is to be sent out right away and the email address sent to a database of sorts.

They then would like some sort of script to call up a new newsletter at the end of each month (or quarter) and email it automatically to the database of subscribers without the need for them to manually administer it.

I'm not sure if this is a complicated procedure or not as it sounds more like some programming rather than a script.

Thanks
Amadas

Amadas 23:27 25 May 06

harristweed,

I currently use php mail forms with an acknowlegment html page once a request has been submitted. I agree about the privacy policy as I place them on all sites. I can see where you're going, but all I need to do now is implement this into a workable solution. I've determined that a database will be needed, but am hesitant as I've never built one and have no idea where to start. I do know that there is a difference on the extensions used between a linux and windows server.

I can access Cpanel with my host that offers different types of scripts, but they just provide names with very little on description.

Amadas

harristweed 08:34 26 May 06

I've done this for a client in the past. It's quite easy, if you have a basic knowledge of PHP and databases.

If you want me to let you have the code, email me!

The difference between windows and linux is windows uses ASP and an 'Access' database while linux uses PHP and MYSQL. (IMHO Linux is better).

A good place to start is
click here

I'm not sure about an 'automated' newsletter, with no input from the client. Where is the content generated?

Amadas 18:12 28 May 06

Thanks to all who responded, especially harristweed. I think I've found a solution to this problem. Using MYSQL and PHP with a little scripting and some programming on the backside to automatically submit emails for future newsletters should do the trick. After obtaining all the pertinent information from the client, I'll work on this a bit and post my results.

Thanks again.

Regards,
Amadas

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…