Sending a Letter from Outlook - Using Template

wee eddie 13:08 20 Oct 03

I have been trying - For the first time - to create a letter using Outlook to save time on the addressing.

Outlook Contacts > Actions > New Letter to Contact > Letter Wizard > Choose Page Design > Highlight required template > Template displayed in Display Box.

However, it doesn't get beyond that. Everything else in the Letter Wizard works, but when I print, just the text I have chosen comes up.

What have I done wrong?

wee eddie 18:36 20 Oct 03

things that go bump in the night!

Djohn 18:43 20 Oct 03

Try a test mail to yourself, just to see if the design comes through on screen, if so then it's working OK. If you do a print-off then you should only see the text itself on your paper, unless you have been to options and ticked "Allow background printing"

wee eddie 20:11 20 Oct 03

I'll try that.

Previously Office '97 had no Snail Mail facilities that I was aware of - email only. Now I'm on Office XP, I am trying to use the extra bits that I had to pay for.

I have already had several tries to get it to work but won't be able to confirm success or failure till I get into my other PC tomorrow morning. Theres no printer at this end.

There's no mention that background printing is needed in the Help Files

Djohn 20:21 20 Oct 03

I think that the controls of outlook are from IE under tools/Internet options/advanced, then scroll down to "Printing". You will see a small box to place a tick if you want background printing. j.

wee eddie 10:52 21 Oct 03

The background printing in Word refers to, printing while you work, rather than something on the background.

IE is not involved as it is Outlook not OE, I am using.

Anybody else got any ideas

Djohn 11:09 21 Oct 03

No, not in Word! The background printing in Internet Explorer is the one I meant. Normally this is turned off by default, otherwise when you print a web page you will get the background colour of the Page as well as the text. This will also apply to your e-mail as well.

Open IE, [Not Word} and go to tools/internet options/advanced tab, then scroll down the window to the "Print" section. Place a tick in the box, "Allow background printing" then your e-mail will print out with any background that you have chosen or one from an e-mail sent to you. Regards. j.

Djohn 11:16 21 Oct 03

Just tried it myself and it works fine. When you have got to the advanced tab as in my post above. Scroll down to "Print" and the box you want is "Print background colours and images". Place a tick in there. j.

wee eddie 13:30 21 Oct 03

e-mail is not involved.

From Outlook Contacts, I am trying to print a Letter to one of the Reps.

The Template I am trying to use is my Business Letterhead which is a ***.dot file.

So I think the answer must lie within Office somewhere.

Djohn 13:36 21 Oct 03

No need for apologies. In fact it is my fault for not grasping the question correctly in the first place. Well at least we now know how to use "Background printing" in E-mail!! ;o)

I will now have a go at finding the answer to your specific problem, a little difficult, because I don't use "Outlook" but do have it installed. Regards. j.

Taff36 14:28 21 Oct 03

Sorry to butt in chaps ......I`ve just tried wee eddie`s letter lesson and it worked first time. I`ve never done it before either.

Couple of things to check. Is the template you are using stored on your local computer where you are composing the letter. (c:\documents & settings\(YOUR IDENTITY)\application data\microsoft\templates - I think) or are you working on a laptop from home and then plugging it back into the office network to print.

Secondly - Is the "letterhead" an image or text as well. If it is just an image is it embedded in the template or linked to the template. Templates we use at work are linked to an image file so that if it changes all templates change automatically.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…