sending a fax via PC

Boy Zone 12:02 24 Dec 06

Happy Christmas to you all.
I have been asked to send a copy of a letter, not by email but by fax? Thought we had left that in the 20th Century.
I have a modem in my wifi laptop but not sure how I send a fax, I believe windows has a basic fax but how do I find this, or is there a freeeby out there I can use?
I know Nortons Works had one, but don't use this s/w anymore.

namtas 12:08 24 Dec 06

There are some programs that allow you to convert email to fax, but beyond this you can not use broadband to send a fax.

ZZ Top 12:21 24 Dec 06

If you have a multi function printer/scanner that you can connect to your laptop, these usually come with fax software....

LastChip 12:23 24 Dec 06

You will need some sort of Fax software. It will appear as a printer option.

So attach your modem port to the NORMAL telephone line. Open the document. Select File; Print; and in new window, select the Printer drop down box. In there should be the Fax driver. Select it and it will open up the Fax software, allowing you to select the Fax telephone number and probably a choice of cover sheets.

When you're done, select send and away it goes!

Boy Zone 12:43 24 Dec 06

Hi Thanks
I did this when I had norton winfax, but don't use nortons anymore, is there any free fax software outthere?

VoG II 12:45 24 Dec 06

Using FaxFax provides you with complete fax facilities from your computer. You can configure fax settings, send and receive faxes, track and monitor fax activity, and access archived faxes. Using Fax, you can choose to send and receive faxes with a local fax device attached to your computer, or with a remote fax device connected to fax resources located on a network.

Fax is not installed by default during Windows Setup.

To install the Fax component
Open Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel.
Click Add/Remove Windows Components.
In the Windows Components Wizard, select the Fax Services check box, and then follow the instructions on your screen.
Notes

To open Fax after installation, click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to Communications, and then click Fax Console.
For more information on using Fax, click Help in Fax Console.

Stuartli 13:32 24 Dec 06

Windows has always had a first class fax program, especially Windows Messaging, which was laid out exactly in the same form as Outlook Express and making it particularly easy to use.

As VoG™ points out XP's Fax Console can be installed via Add/Remove Windows Components.

But you do need a dialup modem to send or receive faxes, other than a fax to e-mail or vice-versa service.

namtas 13:38 24 Dec 06

"But you do need a dialup modem to send or receive faxes" Which is what a point made in the first reply .

LastChip 13:53 24 Dec 06

If you look at the original post, he has a modem (fourth line down).

Stuartli 14:33 24 Dec 06

If you really wish to be pedantic then why did you state: "...but beyond this you cannot use broadband to send a fax.." if you understood it was a dialup modem?

That was why I made the point about a dialup modem being required.

namtas 10:30 26 Dec 06

Many users have modems installed in their PC but do not use them, Boy Zone said he has a modem available that was all he said, I am not being pedantic, simply endorsing a point.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced