send email via aol from my webiste email add

rufusdog52 09:09 20 Nov 05

Hi I am trying to configure OUTLOOK EXPRESS to send and recieve email from my webiste email address. I have no problem receiving email but cant send any. I have the SMTP server set to smtp.uk.aol.com and had the port number as 25 (default) but when I tried to send email it was being returned by the AOL server's spam filter as being unsolicited spam. I went to the AOL live help and they told me to change the port setting to 587 but now it wont even send the email but gets this error -
The message could not be sent because the server rejected the sender's e-mail address. The sender's e-mail address was '[email protected]'. Subject ', Account: 'mail.kitmania.co.uk', Server: 'smtp.uk.aol.com', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '505 MAIL FROM sender and AUTH username do not match', Port: 587, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 505, Error Number: 0x800CCC78
I have been back to live help but they now say they are unable to help me unless I want to use my AOL email address. This is now good to me as I want to keep my AOL email for personal use and use the domain email address for business. I want to use OUTLOOK EXPRESS so I can add the PayPal buttons automatically for invoices.
Does anyone know what I can do to get the emails to send?

tasslehoff burrfoot 09:28 20 Nov 05

I don't think you can.

This is a way of ISPs protecting themselves from non-customer's using their servers to send lots of spam, it is now quite common for ISPs to only allow their own customers (with a vali login) to send mail.

All I can suggest is try a web mail service with SMTP (gmail for example) and see if you can do it through them.

rufusdog52 09:35 20 Nov 05

Hi thanks for your reply, can you tell me what you mean by try a web mail service with SMTP (gmail for example)

Does this mean not using AOL?

tasslehoff burrfoot 09:44 20 Nov 05

If you get a gmail account, you could try setting up your website email address with gmail's smtp settings and see if that will allow you to send the email.

I really don't know if it would work, but it may be worth a try.

If you need a gmail invite, contact me via the little yellow envelope next to my name.

rufusdog52 09:48 20 Nov 05

thanks I will give it a try

harristweed 11:13 20 Nov 05

if your host does not provide a SMTP service. You can install SMTP software on you computer and send mail directly yourself.

click here

However some isp won't accept mail sent this way. Wanadoo for one!

PurplePenny 13:03 20 Nov 05

Doesn't your web host provide SMTP? It looks much more professional to have your e-mail address the same as your domain name.

rufusdog52 14:22 20 Nov 05

my web host has SMTP but you have to use their dial up to get online instead of going through AOL. I would much rather be able to use the domain e-mail address. I can send mail from it from the website but Outlook Express has the facility to automatically send a PayPal invoice which I was hoping to use.
I am very new to all this so any help would be very much appreciated.

PurplePenny 23:50 20 Nov 05

"you have to use their dial up to get online instead of going through AOL"

Is that because AOL won't let you? I use my broadband connection to collect and send all my mail, including my business mail (hosted elsewhere), a personal domain address (parked elsewhere) and my old dial-up account's address.

rufusdog52 09:01 21 Nov 05

I have looked on the WebHost pages and it says you can use their SMTP server if you use dial up number they give you. Aol wont seem to let me do anything with regards to send the mail, I can retrieve it ok and read it in Outlook Express. but cant send mail out from Outlook Express unless it goes from my Aol email address. I'm trying to keep my costs down to the barest minimum as my business I'm trying to set up is litle more than a hobby at the moment.
Does anyone know whether if I retrieve any emails while on Aol then write out the reply emails while offline and just dial up the Host's number to send them would it work? Would they go from my domain address or would they still go from Aol. Would the domain address have to be the default one? This wdnt be a prob as I dont really use Outlook for Aol email, just have it on there while I've been trying out these different options because the other one dont work.

PurplePenny 11:58 21 Nov 05

Yes, you can compose the replies offline then dialup to send them. Provided you have Outlook Express set up with your host's SMTP server, not AOL's, that is where they will go from.

It seems a bit unfair of your web host to make you use their dialup number - they are getting more money out of you for a service that you are already paying for via your hosting fees. I know that they have to verify that you are authorised to use their SMTP but my web host does that by having outgoing mail require usename and password the same as incoming mail.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…