Send To Desktop (Create Shortcut) missing...

Chegs ® 17:22 09 Feb 04

How do I sort this?

My OS is XP Home,I cannot use SFC /Scannow as I disabled windows file protection to customise my desktop.I could re-enable it,but then I would need to redo all the changes I made to my desktop.

click here

This is a screen rip of the Send To folder,with what appears to be a registry entry.I looked thru the Reg but the 9E56... key is missing.I presume I need to recreate this key,but not sure how/if thats correct.

spikeychris 18:51 09 Feb 04

Chegs have you tried typing this into a run command echo > <Drive:>\Path to your SendTo folder\"Desktop as Shortcut".DESKLINK

1 Right click the start button and click Explore.

2. Double click the SendTo folder.

3. Click File / New / Text Document and type Desktop as Shortcut.DESKLINK.

4. Press Enter and click Yes.

5. Close the Explorer window.

Or am I way off? explain the SFC custom desktop issue as well, I cant be bothered with desktops so I haven't heard of that conflict.

Chegs ® 19:08 09 Feb 04

I tried the echo... in the run box,XP doesn't recognise the "echo" command.

I changed the colour/bitmap on my Start button,and added several other "tweaks" to enable a few daft things(popup that states "You cannot easily change this" when placing the mouse pointer over Start,etc)

I tried the recreation of the "Desktop as Shortcut.DESKLINK." as I found it from google,but it doesn't work on my puter.I also altered the SFCDisable regkey,I can now run SFC /Scannow,but it didn't help,my right-click/send to no longer includes desktop,although I can create a shortcut(this option is now a separate listing)and drag it to desktop,but I want my default option back if I can get it.I had installed TweakUI/PowerToys,but removed them when I noticed my Right-Click options were altered.

spikeychris 19:17 09 Feb 04

What did you type for the echo?

Chegs ® 19:21 09 Feb 04

I just reread your post,I need to get a new pair of

I typed exactly what you did,now I need to retype something into run box for the "echo" and then its C;\WINDOWS\SendTo,etc....

spikeychris 19:27 09 Feb 04

How about trying this...

Run these four commands:

Go to Start/Run and type in: regsvr32 sendmail.dll

Go to Start/Run and type in: regsvr32 /i shell32

Go to Start/Run and type in: rundll32 mydocs,PerUserInit

Go to Start/Run and type in: regsrv32 ole32

If no help, see the entry for HKEY_Classes_Root\.DESKLINK

Open notepad, and create a blank text file named 'Desktop (create
shortcut).DESKLINK. Save it in the %userprofile%/sendto folder

Chegs ® 19:37 09 Feb 04

Not sure which one did it,but I now have my sendto desktop shortcut option back.I just worked thru the regsvr32 xyz and when the rundll32 mydocs,PerUserInit didn't appear to do anything,I tried regsrv32 ole32 only it pops up a message that it cannot find it,then I noticed you have put the svr wrong way about,tried it with correct arrangement and it worked.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…