Send in the Clone?

belcanto 18:01 30 Oct 06

Hi there-I am thinking of doing a clone of my system drive using either acronis or norton ghost. If I do so will it re-create the whole of the hd,IE; a clone the size of 250gb. Or will the final file be a lot smaller that that, will all of my files and settings be saved as well.

Finally will I have to install acronis/ghost again after re-foramtting before doing a restore?

TIA
Belcanto

anskyber 19:30 30 Oct 06

It recreates all that is on your HDD including files settings and the operating System eg windows XP.

The file is only as big as the information requirements which is less than the HDD size which is occupied by data. So if your HDD is eg 100GB and its only 25GB used then it will only image the used parts. There is some compression to save space but you can elect to compress at a higher level to save more space. click here

The best way in the longer term is to get an external HDD and back up onto that rather than your internal HDD. In the event of a HDD you are protected because everything is saved for you.

Not sure what you want to do a reformat for but yes it will wipe off your HDD so a re-install of everything will be required.

anskyber 19:32 30 Oct 06

In the event of a HDD failure I should have said. (line7)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Xiaomi Mi5s review: The Xiaomi flagship that could replace your Samsung, LG, HTC or Apple phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Mental Canvas is a brand new drawing app that's quite unlike any other

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's super-expensive new…