sempron v intel

tizerlily 23:02 23 Sep 05

can anyone tell me which is best intel 2.8GHz orAMD sempron 2800+socket 754 processor

BIG Ben strikes 10 again! 09:17 24 Sep 05

I would probably say the intel, its faster.

But the sempron looks like it is a 64bit chip, If you don't need the 64 bit, then go for the intel.

But I usually go for the AMD chips, for the sake of them being cheaper.

Strawballs 23:38 24 Sep 05

Are you saying it is faster just because of its higher clock speed. It would be like saying that an american muscle car is faster than a Ferrari because it has a bigger engine

Skills 01:41 25 Sep 05

I don't know much about the sempron chips but I would say it would depend on what you wish to do. As far as I have read the intel chips (p4) are better for video editing / encoding work.

From what I can see that sempron chip could be either 32bit or 64bit, on AMD product comparison page click here they compare the sempron to a celeron chip so am not sure if that is the market the chip is aimed at.

If you go down the AMD route you might be better off going for a 64bit athlon chip you can pick up the 3000+ for about £100. Also the socket 754 has been surpassed by socket 939 so you may want to go for that instead.

DieSse 10:21 25 Sep 05

It depends a lot on which intel chip - a 2.8 Pentium4 is significantly better than a 2.8 Celeron (which is basically a "cut-down" Pentium4)

tizerlily 10:35 25 Sep 05

thanks I think i know which i am gonna go with now,, i dont understand why manufactures dont make an idiot proof computer for us who just want to turn it on and hey presto

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…