Sempron or Celeron D?

Gaz W 00:27 30 Oct 04

What's the best processor out of these two for a sub-£300 PC? I ask this because of the Sempron's price against the Celeron D, as the Celeron D at the moment seems to be cheaper than the Sempron Socket A.

I can't see how a Sempron 2400+ at 1.667GHz, despite what AMD say, would be able to outperform a Celeron 2.4GHz. OK, so the Sempron has got more Level 1 cache, but 400MHz seems quite a big gap.

The other thing is that the Sempron is on a 333MHz FSB, whereas the Celeron D 2.4GHz runs on 533MHz. If the Sempron can beat that, where are Intel going wrong? Or is the Celeron better?

Thanks in advance for any information,

hugh-265156 00:56 30 Oct 04

at a guess they will be very similar in performance so i would go for the socket and mobo that allows you to upgrade in the future instead.

Gaz W 03:02 30 Oct 04

Thanks for your reply,

The socket thing is another problem in itself. I don't know how long Socket A has got left, since the top Sempron is Socket 754, but then Intel are always changing their sockets as well, so who knows!

I'm tempted to go for the Sempron just because the boards seem to be cheaper, maybe because of the volume produced already for Athlon XPs, but the Celeron processor is a bit cheaper at the moment (haven't shopped around yet though).

Or maybe I should just get a Socket A board and use a mobile Athlon XP 2500+ and overclock it!

The thing is the system I'm considering here wouldn't be for me... I'm just trying to come up with the best spec/price as usual.

rômanab 10:03 30 Oct 04
  Gaz W 02:28 21 Nov 04

Sorry... very, very late reply here...

rômanab - I didn't realise anyone else had replied to this posting - will teach me to check My Postings more regularly.

Anyway thanks for posting that information,

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…