selling via the web,... a scam?????

Magik ®© 21:54 19 Jun 05

hi all, can someone see where the scam is in this....... my son wanted to sell his motorbke, stuck add in paper which also put it on the internet...had a email from spain, apart from the printed add in the paper...they wanted my son to sort out carriage, son said,no...they said,ok, we want the bike, we will send a cheque, he emailed back, saying bike is broken,so not for sale (a lie) had another email saying the guy who wanted the bike is away, and he has asked for me to send you the cheque, cash it, when it is cleared, take out some money for the trouble and send the rest back, he got the cheque, which had come fron Ireland..he has put the cheque to one side, and does not intend to do anything with it.. out of interest we can not see where the scam is..if that is what it is.....any thoughts..all seems very odd.....

Totally-braindead 21:59 19 Jun 05

You'd be better off in the Consumerwatch but this is a scam, I blame the banks really what happens is this.
You receive the cheque and pay it in to your bank, your bank tells you its cleared. You take out the balance and send it back, they receive it and after they get it you are informed by your bank that the cheque has not in fact cleared and you've lost your money. I saw this on TV and on the web.

stalion 21:59 19 Jun 05

could be a stolen cheque and the method is very suspect you would be wise not to touch it.
just a thought why doesn't your son put his motorbike on ebay.
Regards

Dizzy Bob 22:00 19 Jun 05

The cheque will clear. You will send the "balance" back. Some weeks later you will find that the cheque is stolen, and the bank will reverse the cheque credit (debit your account for the money). You will be out by the amount that you sent back, and possibly the goods if you have sent them.

Give it to the police.

Dizzy Bob

Magik ®© 22:09 19 Jun 05

thanks all, he sold the bike to a guy who saw the add in the paper......I will pass all this onto him..thanks again

pat-212841 22:14 19 Jun 05

Yes Dizzy Bob is right i read about this scam somewhere else but they did put the cheque in their bank and thought it had cleared sent cash back and then the bank bounced the cheque.Good for your son he didnt do it .

octal 22:19 19 Jun 05

This scam was highlighted in the BBC Watchdog a few months ago, do as Dizzy Bob says and give it to the police.

This site has some examples if you scroll down towards the bottom of the page click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…