Selling PC how to change registered owners name ?

Kalb 17:26 02 May 04

We've done the deal and my mate has paid me the money BUT.....when he turns on his 'new Pc'he doesn't want to see my name as the owner does he.!
The OS is Win98SE
Now we've managed to change one name via Regedit/H Key Local Machine/Software/Microsoft/Windows/Current Version/Reg.Owner OK
BUT for the other software i.e. Office/Word or Excel
we can find via H Key Current User/Software/Office/8.0/Common/User Info the original user initials as 4a 00 43 00 00 00 and the user name as 4a 00 6f 00 68 00 6e etc
What's the registry code for the letters of the alphabet so we can change the name ? Or can we just delete the entry and leave it blank

GermfreeUnicycle 17:44 02 May 04

The registry values are represented in the form supplied to the registry by the software that created it. There is no standard for the way different programs represent their data in the registry. Because of this, it may be possible to change data such as Owner in the registry, but it is very easy to make a mistake which could create program errors. The simplest way to get rid of the name is to uninstall and reinstall the software etc.

Chris

Kalb 18:01 02 May 04

Thanks GfU for those few kind words !! ....geeez we lose all the customised settings,autoformats in word & formulae in excel etc...surely there must be another way....anyone any ideas. This could cost me guys !!

beeuuem 18:22 02 May 04

Download the ChgOwnOrg .vb from click here

Eric10 18:39 02 May 04

I have found a link that may help if your version of Office is 2000 or XP click here. Earlier versions had to be uninstalled and reinstalled using the new owner's name. I have Office 2003 and although I can find the key for Office 2003, it doesn't have RegOwner or RegCompany entries. Don't forget to backup the Registry before messing with it.

woodchip 19:09 02 May 04

Go to run and type Regedit, go to edit in the Menu cilck find and type your name press enter to change the name right click and modify press F3 to see if there are any more that need doing

woodchip 19:11 02 May 04

it's easy if you do the above

Eric10 20:21 02 May 04

Kalb, I've just been experimenting with the Office UserInfo key you have found and it works for me with Office 2003 and Office 2000. I don't have any other versions to try. My Office versions didn't have the RegOwner key that the link I provided above mentioned so I couldn't get anywhere with it. Your key refers to Office/8.0 which is Office 97 so I don't know if the following will help you or not but it may help others who read this. You can always try it. When you change a number the corresponding character appears at the right so you can check as you go on.

The numbers you need to modify the Username key are in Hexadecimal format i.e. they run from 0 to F, 10 to 1F, 20 to 2F, etc. The sequence for each multiple is 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E,F. Bearing this in mind I will give the key numbers and you should be able to fill in the intermediate ones for yourself. Each number has 00 as a separator.

Numbers: 30=0,39=9

Uppercase letters: 41=A, 42=B, 4A=J, 4F=O, 50=P, 5A=Z

Lowercase letters: 61=a, 62=b, 6A=j, 6F=o, 70=p, 7A=z

If you do have trouble filling in the other character codes then email me and I'll send you a full list.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…