Selling a Dot Matrix Printer

poogles_uk 09:38 03 Aug 04

Im looking at the possibility of selling a 16yr old dot matrix ribbon printer. Does anyone know anywhere i can sell it? Or is my best on Ebay?

Stuartli 10:05 03 Aug 04

Some businesses still use them because they will work with carbon copy paper.

Might be worth trying a free small ad in your local newspaper.

However, the printer won't be worth very much. Main problem is most likely to be with spare parts or repairs.

Sans le Sou 10:58 03 Aug 04

Keep it for your ancestors, it may appear on the 2088 A.D.edition of the Antiques Roadshow.

Wak 11:44 03 Aug 04

It might be worthwhile keeping your dot matrix printer if you ever intend to write something for posterity, such as a book or any other important records as I would imagine that the ink on a printer ribbon is much more durable and longer lasting than the water-based ink used in a bubble jet printer.
I have a Star LC 24/200 dot matrix which used to select the fonts etc on the printer itself but after downloading the latest driver from the maker's web site, it takes all the information from the computer and acts just like an ordinary,
present day printer.
Now, where's that manuscript paper???????

Stuartli 13:05 03 Aug 04

Used to be a club secretary and well remember buying a Star 9-pin dot matrix printer back in 1988 at dabs, who were then based in Leyland.

The Star performed splendidly for several years, only required an occasional new ribbon, and was eventually given to a club member when the system was updated.

Star printers used to be very popular but you never seem to hear of them or see them advertised these days, apart from in business magazines.

pj123 15:01 03 Aug 04

I am in agreement with Stuartli, I have a friend who runs a shop with an EPOS system. He has a dot matrix printer with tractor drive paper. It is only run once a day now but even he is being persuaded to change up to the Windows version. I don't think a dot matrix is worth very much (if anything at all) these days.

Stuartli 17:53 03 Aug 04

They still sell them though...:-)

Stuartli 17:56 03 Aug 04

If anyone wants a new one(!):

click here

john-232317 20:46 03 Aug 04

I had one with my Dragon PC, bought from Boots chemist years ago.

Sold them on ebay a few years ago easy.

poogles_uk 08:24 04 Aug 04

So reckon try my luck on ebay?

Stuartli 09:41 04 Aug 04

Give it to a charity that refurbishes computer systems - more rewarding.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…