self build pc main use for photo & video editing

BAUER 23:05 20 Dec 05

Could any body please tell me what would be the best
main computer componants to install. I need to think of a system that is going to see me through at least 3 years. these are the componants that I am thinking of at the moment.

CPU =AMD Athlon 64 x 2 core 3800
Graphiics card =128ATI Radeon x700 pci express
Memory = 1GB DDR 400
Mainboard =Asus A8n-vm -pci

Please help am I going over the top with these specs

Bauer

User-312386 23:14 20 Dec 05

I would buy at least an 256mb PC-Express card and go for a graphics care with a little more in it like click here

Remember a good PSU is always a must

007al 23:18 20 Dec 05

How much do you want to spend?

€dstowe 06:33 21 Dec 05

For video you would best best installing a second hard drive as well, dedicated to your video work.

Smiler 10:17 21 Dec 05

I agree with madboy33©® about the graphics card and also go for more Ram if your board will take it.
You'll also need a large hard disc at least 200GB and a firewire connection if you intend downloading from a camcorder.

De Marcus™ 11:28 21 Dec 05

A great graphics card isn't too important when doing video editing on your PC unless your capturing from it. The most important components are the cpu, memory and hard drive. The graphics card simply plays back what you've edited and plays no part in the encoding, rendering, decoding etc, etc. The cpu does all the work. The cpu you've chosen is a good choice, and will easily see you through 3 years. The memory on the other hand is a little lowly if the pc's main use is video editing, double it to 2 gig. Hard drive wise, your better off going for a small capacity fast (7200rpm) drive coupled with a large backup drive and a minimum of 200gb space.

Smiler 18:12 21 Dec 05

How do you do video editing if you don't capture it to the hard drive first???

PaulB2005 18:16 21 Dec 05

"capture it " i believe means recording in real time through the card to the PC as opposed to downloading previously shot footage from the camera.

woodchip 18:20 21 Dec 05

I do Video Editing on a Celeron 2.6 with 256mb of memory, and it does not appear to run Slow. I would be the first to complain if it Did. So I cannot see what else other than Two hard drives in the Computer 200Gb each also need to be NTFS so you can create files over the Fat32 4Gb limit

Smiler 18:25 21 Dec 05

Even previously shot footage is captured in real time there is no other way

PaulB2005 18:27 21 Dec 05

"Real Time" ok.

"Live", "Now", "As it happens right now" That's what i meant. As in you are recording from the camera to the PC directly. Not to tape and then downloading it later.

Sorry but i thought i was clear on that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…