Self Build PC

Rodders06 20:16 27 May 04

Hi you clever chaps (grovel). I have and old steam
driven (pentuim 1) thinking of building my own.
No experince, but am a TV engineer of, well a lot, of years, but welome any advice.
Done some research, come up with initial spec:

Motherboard Asus P4C800-E (Intel 875p chipset)
Prescott 2.8 or 3.0 Ghz CPU
1 Ghz 400 SDRAM
ATI Radion 9800 XT or Pro / or NVDIA Vidio card
2 SATA Raid 0 drives 80 Gig each
DVD +/- RE Writer
300 - 500 Watt Power supply, case etc.
Card reader, firewire etc

Any comments on used of Raid 0? is it worth it in terms of fast access?, or just single drive & forget RAID???
What size power supply?
Which Graphics card?
Is it worth the extra £30 or so for a faster CPU?
IE 3.0 Ghz is about £30 more than 2.8 Ghz

I want a general use fast machine capable of handling most demanding 3-d games, Autocad, mathscad,digital imaging, broadband net etc
and furure proof, insofar as one can have future proofing!
Or should I forget it all and go buy a Dell?

Any info or advice appreciated

Rod

Diodorus Siculus 20:25 27 May 04

RAID -= no real value in my (uneducated) opinion.

Powersupply 450+ so that when you decide to upgrade you will have a good basis.

extra £30 or so for a faster CPU? Depends on if you will be cutting corners to afford it - an extra 256 of RAM would be better; both together best of all.

Don't buy a dell if you want to upgrade it yourself... build your own because even though you will not save money, you will know get what you want in every way.

AndySD 20:27 27 May 04

Its very satisfing building your own. But can be more expensive than buying.

The setup looks good but I would avoid the RAID (although 2 drives is good)

Personal opinion though is not to get the Dell there are better deals out there.

AndySD 20:27 27 May 04

Its very satisfing building your own. But can be more expensive than buying.

The setup looks good but I would avoid the RAID (although 2 drives is good)

Personal opinion though is not to get the Dell there are better deals out there.

Diodorus Siculus 20:29 27 May 04

I agree with AndySD that it is good to have two smaller hdd rather than one big one (or better still to have two big ones).

Cook2 20:30 27 May 04

Rodders06, I've built three PC's in the past and it gave me great pleasure and saved a lot of money. Would I do the same today? No, the cost of PC's have come down to such a low price it's no longer cost effective.

But for the pure pleasure and satisfaction then I'd say build your own.

Fruit Bat 20:47 27 May 04

For fun learning and alittle frustration build your own but rember no guarentees.

For price and peace of mind if it goes wrong buy ready built.

Personally I will do option 1

clarki63 21:11 27 May 04

I'm just in the process of building my first machine and learning as I go.

Anyone know any good websites that offer advice or tips on building from scratch?

Mango Grummit 21:25 27 May 04
  billy 21:32 27 May 04

Building on this topic, and it might help the original question for Rodder06. Is it worthwhile to go half-way, say buy a PC with a motherboard processor and hard disk installed. If I had an operating system I would like it with a disk, or I would buy the disk separate as otehres on this forum reckon that is best to have the disk.
The I could buy a DVD burner etc that suited my spec and pocket. Is that a good way to go, or as others on this topic are suggesting just buy the full system?

Charence 22:39 27 May 04

I don't think Raid 0 is necessary, get a 400W+ PSU, I prefer the ATI graphics card and the extra 0.2GHz will be virtually unnoticable! The 2.8GHz is good for almost all computer games.

I don't see any problems with a Dell, in fact they're very good and quite cheap! (using one as I'm typing!) But I do have to agree with others, its much more fun to make your own PC. Having said that, I also found the order form for Dell quite humorous.

Charence

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…