Self build - no power

Diodorus Siculus 13:52 15 Nov 05

I've just put together a system from novatech but find that it is not powering up.

It has a 425W Hiper PSU - any way of testing that?

The only sign of life is a light on the back of the motherboard where the LAN port is built into it.

I've gone through all the connectors and it seems to me that everything is connected up alright.

Any pointers on troubleshooting please?

DieSse 13:58 15 Nov 05

Take off all the front panel connectors, and make trebly sure the power button one is in the right place.

Take off all the drive power connectors, particularly the floppy one - it's not difficult to put it on incorrectly and prevent powering up.

Try with the motherboard out of the case (on a suitable non-conductive sheet (folded newspaper is fine - but thick, so that the pins dn't go straight through!) This shows up any possible mounting problems.

Diodorus Siculus 14:00 15 Nov 05

Thanks DieSee - will give that a go and report back.

No floppy connected but HDD and DVD ROM.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:41 15 Nov 05

All the power connection made on the motherboard?

The latest boards and CPUs (esp P4) require power to CPU, a small square 4 pin plug (easily missed) as well as the large 20 pin strip connector.

Diodorus Siculus 16:57 15 Nov 05

Yes, three power connectors to motherboard:

20 pin with a small 4 pin beside it and another square 4pin to power the CPU.

Nothing happens, even when out of the case.

Still only the two lights on the LAN connector.

Tried another PSU that I know works; still the same.

I've been on to Novatech who will send another pre-built mobo bundle tomorrow - anything I can do before that?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:06 15 Nov 05

Nothing happens, even when out of the case.
Tried another PSU that I know works; still the same.

try remove reseat CPU

also try without memory (should beep or fash code if memory missing

and again without graphics card (unless onboard)

but its looking like a faulty mobo or cpu

The Ghost of Inept Pig 17:07 15 Nov 05

When you press the Power On switch, do some of the fans attempt to turn?

I ask as I've experienced a similar problem before and this was one of the only signs of life - it turned out that the motherboard hadn't been mounted properly, so had been shorting out on the case - it's possible that if you've been trying to power-up with an incorrectly mounted motherboard that the damage may have come from this.

DieSse 17:11 15 Nov 05

Just in case the power button or it's wiring, on the case front is faulty, you can

carefully now! - short together the two pins the power button lead is fed to (take off the lead first!) for a very short time - this simulates what happens when you press the power-on button.

Diodorus Siculus 17:15 15 Nov 05

The CPU, heatsink and memory were installed by novatech as part of the bundle so I don't want to touch the CPU.

Without memory / graphics nothing different happens.

Nothing from the fans either - as I said, the only life was the light at the back of the LAN connector.

As best I can tell it has been mounted correctly.

Diodorus Siculus 17:16 15 Nov 05

I also shorted the two pins - one of the suggestions from the novatech support guy. And, you've guessed it - nothing different!

Freddog™ 17:32 15 Nov 05

There may be a wire shorting somewhere although you say you've tried it out of the case. My suggestion check ALL conecters/cable try reseating the CPU but you probably got a faulty Mobo or CPU

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…