Selecting RAM - Speed?

DuncanG 10:39 21 Nov 05

Moring all,

I want to add some more RAM to my system, currently both slots have a 256MB stick in, so i intend to replace one stick with a 1GB stick. My system supports up to 2GB.

My question is this, how do i determine what what speed RAM my system will work with? Details from MoBo are below:

FSB

• 100/133MHz (200/266MHz) clocks are supported.

Main Memory

• Supports four memory banks using two 184-pin DDR DIMMs or two 168-pin SDRAM DIMMs.
• Supports a maximum memory size of 2GB.
• Supports 2.5v DDR SDRAM DIMM.

jbp1982 10:45 21 Nov 05
  jbp1982 10:46 21 Nov 05

I mean:

click here

DuncanG 10:51 21 Nov 05

jbp1982, Cheers for the crucial link but my machine was scratch built and so there is no manufacturer. Cant seem to find a link on that site to check motherboards.

Gongoozler 10:52 21 Nov 05

Hi DuncanG. Is your memory SDRAM DIMM or DDR? If you enter your motherboard or computer model into the Crucial Memory Advisor Tool click here, then you will get the Crucial recommendations for your upgrade, and the memory is guaranteed to work in your system. You will probably find it cheaper to fit 2 sticks of 512M than one of 1G. If your memory is SDRAM DIMM, then you may also find it cheaper to replace it with DDR. If you do that, you may find that you have to fit a set of links in the motherboard. You may find that the Crucial Memory Advisor recommends PC2100 or PC2700 memory. You can, however fit the faster PC3200. All DDR is backwards compatible. Whichever you fit won't run any faster than your motherboard limit, but you will be able to use it at full speed if you upgrade your motherboard.

DuncanG 10:53 21 Nov 05

Oops.....i lie, that will teach me for not looking properly!! Cheers for the help.

Gongoozler 10:53 21 Nov 05

DuncanG, if you run Belarc Advisor click here, this will tell you what motherboard you have.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…