Selecting an OS

Blues Brothers 10:14 02 Aug 08

Ok, so i'm looking to buy a new pc/laptop. Something with a core 2 duo processor or similar. My question is :- Can XP home or professional make the most of such a processor as they are only 32bit or would it be better to go for Vista which I assume is 64bit.

Eric10 10:30 02 Aug 08

Your assumption is incorrect. Vista is available in both 32bit and 64bit versions. I'll leave discussion on which version is best to those who have actual experience of both, but I think it has more to do with the software you are intending to run than anything else.

Blues Brothers 10:58 02 Aug 08

Thanks eric10 but with Vista available in both 32bit and 64bit versions the question remains the same. Can a 32bit operating system make the most of a core 2 duo processor. To add to that, is the extra performance from such a processor lost on a resource hungry OS like vista. I understand that you can turn off alot of the "pretty" features of vista to reduce its requirements, but then you might as well just use XP in the first place.
Maybe my thoughts/philosophies are misplaced !!!

dermot-titus 11:06 02 Aug 08

My laptop is a dual boot machine. With windows xp and vista. Both are 32bit tipes. It has a 2.2gzh c2duo with 2 gigs of ram. I use xp most of the time because it is faster. I can use some devices that will not work with vista. No drivers for them. Vista is alright but unless I turn off alot of the features I find it very slow. I can do my work much faster in xp.

Blues Brothers 11:12 02 Aug 08

"I can use some devices that will not work with vista. No drivers for them. Vista is alright but unless I turn off alot of the features I find it very slow. I can do my work much faster in xp."

Thats some valuable info dermot. Many Thanks

Has anyone else experienced the same thing ?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:48 02 Aug 08

You need to check if there are 64bit drivers for all your equipment before purchasing a 64bit system.

This is why most of us are still running 32bit op systems.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:50 02 Aug 08

You need to check if there are 64bit drivers for all your equipment before purchasing a 64bit system.

This is why most of us are still running 32bit op systems.

click here

DippyGirl 12:06 02 Aug 08

I run Vista32 HomePremium on a dualcore desktop with 1Gb (Iknow it is too low) - I have as many Vista as I have found bells and whistles switched off. Still havent been able to find compat. drivers for some h/w
You sort of get used to Vista after while, like anything I suppose, But as it is likely to only be a stopgap OS wish I could have gone XP, as per my laptops, then jumped to Windows7 - If still using a M$ OS

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017