Selected wrong mode when installing new O/S

SparkyJack 12:20 31 May 14

Net result 32 bit version running on 64bit machine.

Does it matter?

Am I missing anything?

Batch 13:44 31 May 14

In practice 32 bit will only access approx. 3.4GB.

That said, if all you are using the PC for is office type work (e.g. word processing, spreadsheets), web browsing, viewing photos / videos (not video editing), you probably won't even use all of the 3.4GB.

Windows updates are much smaller. I had W7x64 on one machine and W7x32 on another. The updates on x32 were about half the size.

Also the disk usage by the OS will, accordingly, be much less. Arguably, it follows that x32 might be marginally faster (as there is less to transfer around).

Old software is more likely to work with x32. I have some old Win3.1 software - works under W7x32, but not W7x64 (won't even install in any way shape or form).

Also x32 supports 32 bit drivers (you absolutely cannot install 32 bit drivers on an x64 OS). So if you have old hardware with only 32 bit drivers (e.g. scanner, printer) the drivers may well work under x32.

Security on W7x32 is said to be marginally less than W7x64 (don't know if same holds true for W8).

SparkyJack 13:49 31 May 14

Thank yowu Jackie

It would perhaps be wortht reinstallking ,this 'beast has 16Gb ram and 1Tb drive .

john bunyan 13:55 31 May 14

SparkyJack

Yes; with that amount of RAM it would be a pity not to be able to access it.

john bunyan 13:57 31 May 14

A link , but re W7.

Re install 64 bit

SparkyJack 14:03 31 May 14

Thank you batch yours came in after my response to Jackie.

You're comments much appreciated

As it happens the machine WAS W8,which I found to be a total pain an example of typical MS 'bloatwarek

It has been deleted in favour of Ubuntu 14.

john bunyan 14:54 31 May 14

It seems fairly obvious that the OP means that the PC is 64 bit capable, but he has only installed a 32 bit OS. A new installation of a 64 bit OS would enable the 16 gig RAM to be used in applications that "need" it.

SparkyJack 15:15 31 May 14

MechkB2 Think a railway junction Clapham or Crewe perhaps they have 32 lines going in.

If they have 32 out a potential for slow traffic or. even a jam

But if there are 64 going out,no jams

My first computer was an Atari ST (16/32),same thing' this was late 80's It t left those::!early PC,as in the dust.

john bunyan 16:31 31 May 14

MechKB 2

A few years ago not all PC's were 64 bit capable but I expect you are right these days, except for notebooks. I use Photoshop CS5 and with "only" 4 gig RAM with a 64 bit PC the "scratch disc" gets used sometimes if multi photos are in use. Although I am not a gamer, I thought they like, or need, as much RAM as possible?

john bunyan 17:01 31 May 14

Thanks; I have learned something, yet again!

Batch 18:48 31 May 14

SparkyJack

As I read it, you are saying that you've installed 32 bit Ubuntu on a 64 bit machine. I think you'll find that (most of) the comments bods have made here relate to Windows (certainly mine were). The 3.4 /3.5 / 4GB memory limit referred to is (to my knowledge) a specific peculiarity of 32 bit Windows.

Most bods on this forum seem to have Windows experience. If it is specifically Ubuntu you are interested in you might be better off on a Ubuntu / Linux forum.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac