//some 3rd party need geo

Seek time attribute

jessej 11:08 28 Sep 05

This may have some bearing on my previous posting, Error 500 message. During the last two days I have been getting a message pop up on screen to say that the Seek Time Attribute has changed from 248 to 249, or other numbers. This morning I have had three changing from 251 to 252; 250 to 248 then 248 to 249. What do they mean? I have never come across them before.
I have done a virus scan and found nothing, though AOL Spyware picked up something called WinFixer, now blocked.

Gongoozler 11:17 28 Sep 05

This message suggests that something is changing in your hard drive. It may not be important, but make sure you have a reliable back up just in case

recap 11:22 28 Sep 05

If there is an attribute ID of 8 then the average performance of seek operations of the magnetic heads. If this attribute is decreasing, it is a sign of problems in the hard disk drive mechanical subsystem.

Hard drives that support this attribute are:
Samsung, Seagate, IBM (Hitachi), Fujitsu, Maxtor, WD (Western Digital).

jessej 13:40 28 Sep 05

The Hard Drive is a Maxtor 6Y160PO (160GB) and it now occurs to me that this pop message has only started since I installed HD Health from click here
Would this be the cause of the messages?
The syatem is backed up regularly every Saturday, though only to a partition on the hard drive. Just in case, I'll have to transfer the back up to DVD's

Gongoozler 14:29 28 Sep 05

I suspect that HD health is generating the message. There is probably no real problem, but backups are a wise precaution anyway.

jessej 14:45 28 Sep 05

Thank you all. I have now examined HD Health more fully than I had previously and, goongoozler, you are correct, it is the programme that is generating the messages. Right or wrong, I've now turned the messages off. Seeing as I don't know what they meant anyhow.
Sorry to have bothered you, if I had examined the programme properly to start with then I would have known what to expect.

Gongoozler 15:12 28 Sep 05

No need to apologise jessej. It's all useful knowledge for all of us.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…