security on wireless network

eljanno 14:53 04 May 07

Hi
Could someone please tell me how to add security to my sons wireless router. He has a belkin mimo router but I am frightened to make the network connection secure because I am not sure what to do and don't want to mess it up and stop him having any connection at all. Could someone explain to me if possible step by step how to put the encryption or security number in please I have an idea it has to be 128 bit but that's all.
Sorry to be a pain

J

MAJ 15:12 04 May 07

You're not being a pain, eljanno, but the manual usually gives you all those instructions. It's usually a case of bringing up the router's configuration page, going to the Wireless Security section and enabling WPA.

eljanno 15:17 04 May 07

Thanks you, Thats a part I get confused with, WPA etc I will look for the mannual but to be honest I think it was onmline. When I enter 128 bit number how many carachters are in it I am getting confused now
LOL
J

postie24 16:51 04 May 07

Hi there,you need to set it up in the router homepage as MAJ says.
Type in 192.168.2.1 in the address bar in your browser.
Once in the homepage click wireless/security/encryption.Enter the wep key,normally found on underside of router,then click apply.
Right click wireless icon in system tray,choose view available network,connect to your network and you will be asked for the wep key,type it in twice and thats it.
Once up and running i would advise you to change from a wep key to a wpa key,you do this back in the router homepage.
Choose a wpa key from here and write it down
click here

postie24 16:52 04 May 07

Sorry should have pointed out that you will be prompted for your username and password before you can enable the encryption

eljanno 19:41 06 May 07

Sorted now thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now