Security on Windows ME

bruno 02 Jan 12

My neighbour has just gone online today after having her PC since 2000! She has joined Sky broadband and managed to install it OK. They offer a free rial with McAfee, which does not install for her. I had a look and tried AVG and Avast and another one whose name escapes me now. All were rejected as being too new for ME. Does anybody know where I can get a free programme which will work?

spuds 02 Jan 12

"being to new for ME"

That's a new one, because ME is an old Windows operating system. The problem is possibly that the programs that you have tried to install are no longer supported to run with ME?.

You could check http://www.majorgeeks.com and see if there is any information on downloads for ME. It might also be possible to contact Sky broadband support and see if they have any suggestions.

bremner 02 Jan 12

Spuds

I think you have misread as The AV programs are too new for ME.

Bruno

Have a look here for older ME compatable fersions of Avast Click here

bruno 02 Jan 12

My expression "too new" were my words-not very good ones. Basically they said the download was not suitable for this version of Windows. I will try that site, thanks for suggesting it. I never used ME,so I am a bit ignorant about it.

Batch 02 Jan 12

Your neighbour needs to be aware that Windows ME is no longer supported by Microsoft and almost certainly has a number of non-patched fundamental security flaws (as will whatever version of Internet Explorer and probably any other browser that she uses).

A firewall and anti-virus will help, but are by no means fool-proof.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? 8 reasons why you should upgrade to Windows 10... and 2 why you…

We are being sold the ability to spend money we don't have. And we love it

IKinema aims to banish droopy shoulders and wonky spines in animated CG characters

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message