Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 on

allanon 21:05 27 Oct 10

I have downloaded the above from microsoft update many many times but no matter how many times I try and install it it keeps saying that it needs to install when I log on.

I was advised that I should uninstall the same and then download it again. I selected "view updates" located the same and uninstalled in and restarted the compurter and tried again. When I log onto Microsoft update it sayd that the same has been downloaded and merely needs to install it. Which I do but when I log back on it says that I need to install it again. Infuriating. Has anyone else suffered from the same problem with this update?. Any other advice gratefully received

northumbria61 22:54 27 Oct 10

There is a .Net framework "cleanup" tool here but read carefully before using it. click here

NOTE: This tool is designed as a last resort for cases where install, uninstall, repair or patch installation did not succeed for unusual reasons. It is not a substitute for the standard uninstall procedure.

You should try the steps listed in this blog post before using this cleanup tool.
This cleanup tool will delete shared files and registry keys used by other versions of the .NET Framework.

If you run the cleanup tool, you will need to perform a repair/re-install for all other versions of the .NET Framework that are on your computer or they will not work correctly afterwards.

northumbria61 22:57 27 Oct 10

So reading the last paragraph you will have to make a note of ALL other versions of .NET Framework that are currently on your computer and perform a repair/re-install of them.

cocteau48 12:46 28 Oct 10

I have used the .NET cleanup tool successfully on a couple of occasions.
If uninstalling everything be prepared to spend a good hour reinstalling bit by bit and checking the MS update site at every stage.
Having said that I had the same problem with the latest update as yourself and using the .NET cleanup tool to remove only version 4 .... the reinstall and then the update worked OK.

If I recall correctly if you use the link provided by northumbria61 from softpedia the drop down list within the program does not include .NET Framework4.

Try this link as an alternative click here

I think you will find that this does include .NET Framework4

allanon 20:16 23 Nov 10

Cocteau48, your link doesn't appear to work can you please re-submit Thanks

allanon 20:31 23 Nov 10

I have managed to assess Cocteau48's link and I have downloaded the clean up tool. I have previously tried to uninstall the Net framework 4 via remove progs without any luck.

I have created a system restore point and I am ready to use the clean up tool. Is there anything I need to be aware of?. Once run I assume I will still be able to update via MS update so as to repair and update the net framework 4. I don't know what the net framework actually does you see. Any advice gratefully accepted.

birdface 20:45 23 Nov 10

Maybe download it from here.

click here

Look in details on the right hand side to make sure you have all the Service packs Etc that is needed.

cocteau48 20:56 23 Nov 10

There is a drop down menu within the clean-up tool which should list all the versions of .NET Framework installed.
Choose to uninstall only version 4.(it will probably take a few minutes)
Then go to the MS site and re-download and install version 4.
Now go back to the MS update site and it should offer to download the latest update to version 4.

Hopefully all should then be OK.

The worst case scenario is that you would have to use the tool to uninstall all versions and re-install them all again from scratch ... not a major problem .... just time consuming.
Remember to visit the update site and check for updates after installing each version.

The .NET Framework is required by some programs in order to run successfully.

allanon 15:33 28 Nov 10

Thanks I used the tool and then updated at the MS site with no problems. Thank you all for the help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5