Security update? constantly

speedbird_zero1 10:13 15 Dec 03

I am running win98se (quite successfully at the moment) however on a daily basis i am getting a notification from MS that a download is required. I go to the site get and install the download only to get the same message agian next day. Below is the message:-

823559: Security Update for Microsoft Windows
Download size: 305 KB, 1 minute
An identified security issue in Microsoft Windows could allow an attacker to compromise a Microsoft Windows-based system and then take a variety of actions. For example, an attacker could execute code on the system. By installing this update, you can help protect your computer. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer. Read more...

Now this is exactly the same day after day, if i "view installation history" it shows that this update has been installed quite a few times now. Do i really need to keep doing this? I don't particulaly want to stop totally the update notifications but this is becoming annoying.
Any advise would be welcome.

Thank You,
Mike

Diodorus Siculus 10:21 15 Dec 03

I had the same problem with the patch repeatedly being displayed. Although the patch was supposedly effective / successful in reality it was not. I have no idea why ! Try removing the patch using the "remove software" utility in control panel then reinstall it. It worked for me ! [Not me... the poster to that forum but it sound a viable option.]

speedbird_zero1 10:31 15 Dec 03

OK then, I have just un-installed and subsequently re-installed this patch, i has alledgedly installed correctly, i will know in 24 hours for sure, so i will not yet put the tick of closure on.
Thanks for the rapid help.
Mike

speedbird_zero1 12:58 19 Dec 03

That seems to be now sorted thanks again.

Diodorus Siculus 14:26 19 Dec 03

Thanks for the feedback; glad it worked.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…