Security Suites

peter_l1993 22:57 01 Aug 07

Hello techie-heads!:D
My Norton subscription is expiring soon, so I was wondering which Internet Security Suite has the least impact on preformance while still maintains a solid firewall and anti-virus. I don't really care about anti-spam or email scanning because I use webmail.
Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

woodchip 23:02 01 Aug 07

I use AVAST as Anti-Virus on my XP computers the Free Version. Don't bother with anything else as I have a 3Com Firewall router

click here

johnnyrocker 23:03 01 Aug 07

ditto.

johnny.

brundle 23:07 01 Aug 07

There's a 180 day trial of Kaspersky Internet Security 7 available - very effective antivirus, and no impact on system performance; click here

Totally-braindead 23:12 01 Aug 07

Not true brundle if the July 2007 PCA mag is to be believed, they recorded system slowdown as 10% using Kaspersky Anti Virus, the same as Norton funny enough. I do think its a better product though and its a lot cheaper.
Course that just the AV they tested not the security suite but since it shares the AV I would think it would be the same.

peter_l1993 23:12 01 Aug 07

Thanks for the fast response guys.Not too sure about Kaspersky...read really good reviews but I'm still not conviced of it's malware detection and removal rates.
WOODCHIP:
I've got a Firewall router(Netgear DG834G) as well but I still like the protection of a software based firewall to support my hardware one.

woodchip 23:16 01 Aug 07

Free Zonealarm click here

kaspersky 6 & 7 seem to slow the startup and web pages of my xp and vista pc's, whereas norton '07 never has, i know there has been many a discussion on this it's just how it works on my pc's which are both dual core amd with nvidia graphics. the reason i bought it was there was a problem with a vista security update thats why i use kis and the vista pc isnt used for gaming.

Totally-braindead 23:20 01 Aug 07

Kaspersky is the best of all of them at the moment, it was best in Julys PCA mag and was best in Computer Shopper back in February I think it was.
I use AVG free and Zone Alarm free firewall and a couple of malware programs and that it, very low impact on system performance and they are free.
If I was going to buy one it would probably be Kaspersky. But the free ones do the job - up to you of course.

if you want good detection and removal kaspersky or nod 32 seem to be the leaders.

peter_l1993 23:28 01 Aug 07

I really want a security suite rather than separate products, as I used to have Zonealarm and NOD32 but I just couldn't be bothered to manage both product separately.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant