Security Software

Iceman244 11:19 21 Mar 08

I currently use Norton Anti Virus software protection for my laptop but would like some advice regarding computer protection.

Firstly, a silly question I suppose, but does computer virus and internet protection really matter, or is it a con?

And secondly is Norton my best option, as once again my subscription has run out and it is time to cough up another £60+ for another year.

Your advice would be most welcome.

Ice

MAT ALAN 11:24 21 Mar 08

the only con is Norton charging you 60 quid

click here

click here

click here

click here

click here

Just some of the FREE progs available that will go along way to keeping your PC safer online...

rawprawn 11:51 21 Mar 08

If you are going to pay, I would recommend
ESET Smart Security (NOD32)and you can try it for free
click here

Belatucadrus 12:58 21 Mar 08

"is it a con?" No.
But as has been said you only need to pay if you're a commercial operation where the free copies license don't apply, running the freebies there counts as software theft and opens your business to prosecution by FAST. Even then you could try Comodo click here that's legal, but it's a Beta and not really advisable.
Many non profit home users can and do survive in a state of well secured happiness free of charge. I've run a variety of home machines for ten years and between the freebies listed by MAT ALAN, some cover disks and never paid for any security software and so far touch wood no problems.

birdface 13:02 21 Mar 08

If you are going to renew Norton shop around you should be able to buy NIS for about £24

Pineman100 14:00 21 Mar 08

click here& for a useful PC Advisor article on free security (and other) software.

Pineman100 14:01 21 Mar 08

Sorry - that link seems to be corrupt. Try this click here

TonyW2 16:49 21 Mar 08

And a tip for anyone who is downloading the freebies, ---Take your time.-- The distributors, not unreasonably, want you to consider their paid for versions, or at least be exposed to some of their adverts, so the "clicks" needed to download the free version may not be too obvious.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…