Security Shield

K*B 15:25 11 Feb 11

Friends, I opened an email from some name I tought was familiar. Immediately I did, an application called Security Shield quickly installed itself, scanned my laptop and claimed to have detected many very harmful viruses, etc. which must be removed! I was then offered to pay $79 online to purchase the application for my laptop; I declined becos I did not choose to buy it; I already have an antivirus running on my latop. I feel people are trying to force money from me online. This has been a real nuissance! It is preventing me from smooth use of my laptop. How do I get rid of it and have some peace of mind? Thanks.

onthelimit 15:29 11 Feb 11

click here - scroll down to the automated removal instructions

Woolwell 16:19 11 Feb 11

May I ask which anti-virus you use as I would have hoped that it would have stopped this installing.

K*B 18:09 11 Feb 11

Avast Free.

K*B 20:02 12 Feb 11

Onthelimit! thanks for sending the solution to the attack. I have successfully performed the automated removal instructions right up to instruction 17. However, I seem to be stuck at instruction 18. I deleted the old hosts file as per the path in the instruction. My OS is Vista so I clicked on the second list given in instruction 18, but the contents of the default hosts file opened up in the browser. Then as directed, I right clicked the same link and clicked "Save Target As" to download the default hosts file. I browsed to C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc folder to save hosts file in but the following error message popped up:

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts
You dont have permission to save in this location. Contact the administrator to obtain permission. Would you like to save in the Prosperity folder instead? Y/N

What could have gone wrong? I am the sole user of the laptop which connects to the internet through an ISP. Is the Prosperity user not also the administrator on Vista pcs? Thanks.

onthelimit 22:32 12 Feb 11

Hmm. Sorry - not sure. The bleeping computer solutions normally work OK. Wait to see if anyone else has an idea.

K*B 06:17 13 Feb 11

Thanks for suggestion to wait and see if someone else has an idea as to how to handle the problem in my last post. I'll sure wait.
One more thing, onthelimit. After removing "My Security Shield" from my laptop I see that a message appears in the bottom right corner of my screen each time I start the laptop saying:

"Windows has blocked some startup programs.
Windows blocks programs that require permission
to run when Windows starts"

I am not used to that appearing each time I start my laptop, but before I do anything foolish and maybe mess up again I'd like to ask for your opinion: How do I address/fix this message? Thanx.

onthelimit 09:58 13 Feb 11

I suggest you open it and see what progs its referring to.

K*B 11:38 13 Feb 11

Yes, I did open it up and found there are many programs that require permission to run when Windows starts. Almost all of them are classified as "permitted" programs except the following which are not yet classified.
1. LightScribe (from HP) which is "Not yet classified,
2. hppusg (from unavailable publisher) which is "Not yet classified".
Beneath the table of programs there is an option to Remove/Disable/Enable whichever is selected.
I really can't figure out what to do with all this. Pls help. Thanks.

onthelimit 16:29 13 Feb 11

Seems to be another HP programme, so shouldn't be a problem.

K*B 19:18 13 Feb 11

Thanks, but I keep wondering, ................... what could be the consequences of having the C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\HOSTS file deleted from my laptop? I'm using it after cleaning off the "My Security Shield" threat. Remember, I have no permission to save the default HOSTS file in the above folder even though I was allowed to delete the exixting one and I am the PROSPERITY (administrator) user of my Vista OS laptop.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…