Security program combination

pcsupsetme 11:52 27 Feb 09

Hello people.

Please help; i'm getting desperate.

I have Windows XP on dial-up internet, and I need to know a good, safe combination of security programs that will comprehensively protect my computer but not slow it down (it's on dial-up already).

My idea is to have all 4:
1) COMODO firewall (without the AV component; if it can be excluded?!?)
2) AVG anti-virus
3) SpyBot anti-spyware
4) Ad-Aware anti-something

Would this combination of programs cover all my basic security needs? Have I forgotten anything important? (But, please don't suggest alternative programs unless I have picked a really bad one, and there's a significantly better one - i'm already cracking up and confused!)

Would SpyBot and Ad-Aware together slow my computer down? Are they both neccesary?

Please help. I am computer illiterate so talk to me as if I was ten years old.

Kaacee 13:25 27 Feb 09

They should do nicely, I personally use Comodo Firewall,and Avira AV only. Then run Comodo System Cleaner once a week.Seems to keep my PC running clean.

Taff™ 13:30 27 Feb 09

Nothing wrong with your selection but personally I would use Avast instead of AVG and substitute Asquared for AdAware. The antimalware (Spybot, Adaware & Asquared) will not slow down your computer because you have to run them yourself so you can choose when it`s convenient. Updates though will slow down your computer over a dial up connection.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac