Security Problems with internet site connections

isca2 11:48 17 Sep 14
Answered

All of a sudden, out of the blue, I have been having problems on both my Desktop (Win 7 ) and my laptop (Vista ) and using both Firefox and IE (latest versions). Get the problem when trying to access banking sites,credit card sites and Hotmail. The details are :- *You have asked Firefox to connect securely to...(Web address ) but we can't conform your connection is secure. Normally when you try to connect securely, sites will present trusted identification to prove that you are going to the right place. However, this site's identity cannot be verified. What should I do ? If you usually connect to this site without problems, this error could mean that someone is trying to impersonate the site and you should not continue.*

I am then given a choice of continuing or click on Get me out of here. I got round the problem of typing in the appropriate web address and then deleting the old bookmark and substituting the new on, and all is then OK. Does anyone know why this should suddenly have cropped up ? I had an email from a friend 360 miles away, who has been having the same problem.

spuds 12:13 17 Sep 14

Not saying its the answer now, but I had a similar problem a couple or so years ago with Barclays. Apparently at that time, "Barclays only supported IE and no other browser" and actually knew of problems, but had "no time scale" to correct the problem. They eventually got around to sorting things out. and all as been well since (fingers crossed).

"I got round the problem of typing in the appropriate web address and then deleting the old bookmark and substituting the new on, and all is then OK". Possibly the best move, until things get sorted out.

isca2 12:05 20 Sep 14
Answer

Will close this as no apparent interest to others !

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's most powerful…

Apple Watch 2 vs Huawei Watch 2 comparison review: watch out for 4G smartwatches Apple