security options on a router modem

John Ross 22:06 22 Mar 06

I have had a problem I have mentioned a couple of times on the forum, as I was unable to log in to the Netgear help forum.
Basically, the DG834GT I use will stop accessing the Internet at what seem random times (several times a day) , and I can only reestablish broadband by switching the router off and on again.

I finally managed to get thru to Negrear, who suggested :
1. reducing the MTU size to 1400. As iot is already at 1458 I am unsure how much this would achieve, and when I test the connection the test progeam suggests a higher MTU.
2. Disabling port scan and DOS protection. I have done this and there is "possibly" an improvement, albeit the router seems to have conked out again when I try to upload this, about ten hours after the above changes. However, I am worried if this is a significant compromise in security. (I do have Zone alarm free version running)?
I would be grateful for your thoughts.
thanks!

ade.h 22:15 22 Mar 06

If you change it at all, MTU figures should be increased, not decreased. click here.

I assume that you have already been through the basic initial checks; plugging in your old modem to see if the line is okay, checking out potential wireless issues, etc. Does it happen over ethernet or just wifi?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…