Security for Linux

SparkyJack 14:29 PM 17 Jun 11

Is there a recommended security program for Linx?

Does it need it?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:42 PM 17 Jun 11

Anti virus link text

AVG antimalware for linux

woodchip 15:48 PM 17 Jun 11

Not needed if you are using the live CD

LastChip 16:11 PM 17 Jun 11

Linux is very secure out of the box and generally you don't need to worry about any further protection.

It doesn't suffer from malware and hardly anyone in the Linux world uses anti-virus software. The exceptions to that are email servers, that attempt to clean up the mess left by Windows emails that are sometimes infested.

ClamAV is available as a native Linux anti-virus software should you feel the need, along with Freshclam which will update it automatically for you. Both those applications should be available from your distributions (distro) repositories.

If you're new to Linux, I suggest you only use applications out of your distro's repositories. Using anything else may need to be "compiled" and whilst that's not overly complicated, it's another hurdle you would need to learn and digest.

Personally, I don't bother with any of it except on my servers. It really isn't necessary.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 now: how to download and install Windows 10 even if GWX.exe is missing

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nokia rolls out spherical camera for virtual reality apps

7 best iPhone web browser apps: Why Safari for iOS is still a better option than Chrome, Dolphin,…