Security Levels

Mike@#36 12:35 26 Sep 06

I have managed to set up my network and have used the 'most secure' setting for security as the two laptops we use are up to date etc. All works fine, the laptops have a sort of radar that identifies all the wireless networks in the area and identifies their SSID etc. With this they can connect to my network (and to someone else's in the area who hasn't secured it!)

I've also set it so that only the laptop IDs (MAC addresses I think) are allowed access as an added security measure.

I have also read that 'not broadcasting' the SSID is another measure I can take, BUT when I select this option neither of the Laptops can see the network either. Does anyone know how the laptops can connect to my network with SSID turned off?

ade.h 14:57 26 Sep 06

click here
Read this and you will understand all about SSID broadcast and MAC filtering. In addition to the false sense of security, you have already seen the potential practical downside to disabling SSID broadcast; it doesn't work very well.

Mike@#36 16:52 26 Sep 06

Thanks ade, what a mine of information you are.

Looks as though the fact I have WPA2, that I am as secure as it can get so I shall turn SSID back on, as it seems there is no benefit in turning it off in the first place?

ade.h 17:56 26 Sep 06

Yeah; as long as you made a decent key - plenty of letters/numbers/symbols - you can't get more secure than WPA2.

There is nothing at all to be gained by hiding your SSID. People think that it's actually hidden, when it is not.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now