Security key for wireless network

paul_allard 16:58 02 Jun 08

Silly question, I know, but how do I find the security key or passphrase for someone to add their wireless laptop to my wireless setup at home ? (I know that I had it but cannot put my hands on it at present - senior moment ??)
Many thanks for any help.

Halmer 17:01 02 Jun 08

It will be on the back of tour router something like 192.168.1.1

You will then need two 'password' type entries. Default is usually Admin and Admin

There should then be a wireless security setting as a tab that you can view.

The Kestrel 17:01 02 Jun 08

You need to go to your router settings page, select the tab or link to wireless settings and the key will be found there. Which router are you using? I have a Netgear router and so have based my answer on that router.

paul_allard 17:21 02 Jun 08

I'm feeling pretty ignorant but how do I find my router settings page? It's a Netgear router but i don't seem to have a Netgear folder etc..

Bob The Blob 17:37 02 Jun 08

Go to click here and find the details for your router stats page.
The wireless key could be on a sticker underneath the router.

woodchip 17:45 02 Jun 08

You use Internet Explorer and Put the above number address in the address box at the top then press enter key

POiZN 17:46 02 Jun 08

Just a thought, if it's a Sky Netgear router, the security key is printed on the underneath.

paul_allard 17:49 02 Jun 08

Thanks for all the help but none of this has helped me to find my security key /passphrase. I've tried password and all the obvious but will I find my securtiy key somehwere on my machine ?

brundle 17:56 02 Jun 08

# Connect a computer to any one of the four LAN ports of the NETGEAR router.
# Open an Internet explorer and type the router IP address which would be either click here or click here (by default, refer to your product documentation ti determine the default IP address.) in the address bar and press Enter.
The Login window will be prompting for a Username and Password. The default Username is admin and the default Password is password
# Click Wireless Settings under Setup menu.

paul_allard 18:02 02 Jun 08

Thanks - success ! It didn't work the first time for some reason but has the second. Thanks for your patience and understanding.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017